cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Desktop ??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since the Windows 10 upgrade, I cannot arrange my desktop icons and have them stay where I put them for over two weeks.. I have searched the inet numerous times for a solution to this problem and tried everything with no luck.. Both the auto arrange and arrange to grid and turned off.. Anyone else found a solution to this annoying problem that is driving the DW and myself crazy...
21 REPLIES 21

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Windows doesn't move icons on it's own - why would it, what would that accomplish?

Either someone else using the computer is messing with you, or you have some sort of weird malware that is moving your icons - maybe some sort of remote control exploit.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up. I backed up the data, wiped the drive and re-installed 7. Dumbest upgrade ever
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
You might try right-clicking on an unoccupied portion of your desktop then left-click on Sort by and make sure everything is unchecked. It almost sounds like you have Sort by Date Modified checked.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I am not happy with Windows 10 upgrade features either - but I haven't had the same problem you have. I minimize my unexpected upgrades by going into the upgrade options section and telling the computer I was on monitored internet connection - that allowed me to revert to manual upgrades which saved me some headache. I doubt switching to Apple is going to make you happy camper - arrogance isn't limited to Microsoft.
Kevin

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running an anti-virus program that is messing with it? I have 3 computers on Win 10 and have little complaints. Maybe see if this regedit info helps: linky
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS I need to read the whole post I guess.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Great - something for me to look forward to. My Windows 10 desktop has been trying to update itself for the past 3 hours. I HATE Windows 10. Worst software ever. I leave my PCs on 24x7 so they presumably should be updating themselves. But every time I sit down to do something, they want to perform a several-hour update. I've never considered purchasing an Apple product until now...

If I have the same issue and am able to resolve it I'll post back.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)