cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard G2 Sat & HD?

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would try to get HD this weekend with my Winegard G2 Satelitte along with my Directv HD receiver. I've had great success with my Winegard G2 but couldn't get reception when I hooked up my HD receiver. Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem is that while Dish uses KU frequency band transmissions for all of their domestic signals, both HD and SD, DTV uses KA band signals for most of their HD programming, and KU for their SD offerings. The LNB used by KU is significantly different from the KA band LNB. All of the domes currently available only receive KU band signals.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
JayHardy, where are you? It's OK to come back and tell us you did not know what was what and what we might be able to do to help you move forward.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Winegard G2 can get more than the 101 satellite, just not at the same time.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP had asked about Direct TV, so I said it doesn't get HD which it does not for Direct TV.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
G2 does not receive HD!
YES it does - but not DTV. Dish HD on G2 works great!
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No dome from any manufacturer will be able to receive the DirecTV HD programming. The 1 satellite your dome can receive is the 101 and all the HD is on 99 and 103. You can receive the SD programming and you will want to change the settings in your HD receiver to show only the SD channels. If you want to receive HD with your dome you MUST be a Dish Network customer or, for DirecTV you must use an open faced antenna with the lasted triple LNB (all built into 1 housing). You can do this with a home style antenna mounted on a tripod you install a Winegard Trav'ler or RF Mogul roof mounted antenna ($$$$).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV requires an open 3 LNB dish for HD reception - no domes. You have to be able to get three satellites at the same time - 99, 101 and 103.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
G2 does not receive HD!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker