cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wwdc comments... (ie apple)

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
Figured I'd better start a new thread before I get in trouble..

mlts22 wrote:
Of course, there is wearable computing. However, there is one market Apple really needs to step into, because it is just plain stagnant: Car audio. Even thieves are not bothering to yank radios out of vehicles these days, due to the fact that most won't work if power is turned off. If Apple could make a 1 or even a 2 DIN audio head with storage capacity and other features, they would send Alpine, Sony, and the other people heading for the hills.

I completely agree with you on this. I've been looking at ways of just using my nexus 7 or ipad mini as a headunit. The current HU's are very outdated compared to phones/tablets.

The other place that is in need of desperate attention it TV boxes.

I've got 3-4 boxes for each of my tv's. If someone would approach the cable providers and find a way that with one box, we can view internet, HD cable, NAS storage (movies), and have a dvd slot, it would sell like crazy.. I read about a startup trying to do that, and until they get a provider on board, they are pretty much stuck.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS
6 REPLIES 6

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
That was a very disappointing Keynote...

I shouldn't be surprised, as that's the same feeling I've gotten from the past couple keynotes..

I like the idea, just not using apple maps...lol
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This WWDC really didn't impress me:

Mac Pro: One of the big things about it, it was the only Apple offering that was upgradable for use with specialized cards. If I need video capture, a HBA, or something that is not in wide demand, a PCIe bus was available. Now, the thing basically an iMac in a can, reminding me of a combination of the Mac Cube and something that was used in the Death Star. I probably will end up forced to buy it in a year or so just because it is the only Mac that possibly that can handle serious development work with desktop RAID.

Demand for signing into a user account before a restore on the iPhone, iPod, or iPad? Good. It is about time Apple had some anti-theft measures in place. However, this is a double-edged sword, and likely will make jailbreaking next to impossible.

Apple's Pandora clone? We have Pandora, Rdio, Spotify, Google's music server. Apple has the advantage of being the only game in town when it comes to syncing (Android needs help big time here), but nothing new there.

iOS 7 looks a lot like my old Zune, and a lot like Windows 8.

Storing passwords in the cloud? Not new. I can use mSecure or a slew of other programs for that, and not have to have an iDevice to use them.

OS Maverick improvements? Nothing really to write home about.

All and all, I'm disappointed. Apple made some gestures to interface with existing car maker's equipment, but Apple needs to actively step into that market, have a 1 DIN device that plugs into the CANBus of the vehicle, and can do everything from climate control to starting the car from remote via an iDevice. With Bluetooth and direction-finding, one's iPhone can be used as a key to the vehicle. Apple would completely sweep the car audio market with an iCar audio head, just like they did with cellphones.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Per CNN, this is what is going on today:

"The design, overseen for the first time by new iOS boss Jony Ive, includes new typography, redesigned icons and a new color palette.

They also claim to have the largest collection of credit card information on the Internet.

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
holy carp.... mlts22, you were sort of right..

They just announced "iOS in the car", but looks like it's just an overlay.
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Several companies and content providers are actively working on Virtual MSO (Multiple Systems Operator), Intel, AT&T, and Sony to name a few. Some issues are startup costs, existing licensing agreements, and the fact that existing cable companies provide most of the broadband service in the U.S. I'm guessing, they wouldn't take kindly to competing services streaming content that was their exclusive domain?

By existing regulations, cable companies apparently couldn't block such content on their service? However, some have speculated that they could introduce metered bandwidth, which could effectively raise the costs for accessing premium streamed content to the point of making it not cost effective to the end consumer.

Mremdal33
Explorer
Explorer
Until Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, and others get the strangle hold they have on the content distribution in the US forcefully removed, nothing good will every happen with consolidating all those boxes. I would just be happy to be able to pay for the channels I want or to buy HBO seperately and watch it on my ipad or laptop.

I think what is happening now is much like when the phone companies began to give up their stranglehold on the landline. That only happened however because they never saw the voice over internet coming. The cable companies know who their competition is and will battle to the death (literally).