Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Choice of Internet Security Prorams

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Toshiba L55-A5226 lpatop, Windows 10/64, Anniv. edition

I've been using Norton Security for a number of years, and have been generally satisfied with the program, but I decided to experiment a little since the subscription is expiring. I uninstalled Norton and installed Super Anti-spyware Pro which I purchased online for a sale price of only $9. I like that it runs alongside Windows Defender without shutting it off, as other AV programs usually do. It's too early to tell if I'm going to like this setup, but I always have the option of going back to Norton or any other security suite.

Any comments or suggestions about what programs you folks are using on your computers?
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
22 REPLIES 22

GoPackGo wrote:

When Norton expires, I think I will just go with the built in MS Defender, hoping it will work well because it's integrated from the git go.

You may want to think twice when there's a number of free solutions available? Windows Defender still pretty much ranks at or near the bottom in PC protection from most independent security testing orgs. Better than nothing, but can allow too many potentially serious malware through.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new Dell and it came with 1 year of Norton free, so I'll see how that goes. I was always anti-Norton because of the slow down effect it had on my previous computers, but so far that does not seem to be the case.

I have also just added CCleaner. Really like this free program, but pay attention to the download screens if you get it - there is an automatically checked box to download and install Google Chrome and make it your default browser. Grrr.

When Norton expires, I think I will just go with the built in MS Defender, hhoping it will work well because it's integrated from the git go. I've run Kaspewrsky for about the last 5 years with good luck, but I still think it had some effect on the speed. FWIW, when I researched Kaspersky, it was generally rated the highest.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
hedge wrote:
I'm an IT guy, we have heavy duty stuff at work but I find the home stuff lacking. I actually don't run anything extra other than the windows built in stuff.

I also treat my computer as expendable, I really don't care if I have to re-install, I don't have anything on it that isn't backed up and I can re-install easily. It can be even easier if you run it as a VM so that you just have to re-image a known good copy.

In other words just don't depend on your pc staying clean, you will likely get hit at some point no matter what you do so make sure you have backups. It amazes me how few do.

X2!

I have MANY computers at home running barefoot (yeah, there is a lot of "IT" folks gasping).. In over 25 yrs I have only had ONE virus issue..

That was solved by dropping in a backed up already imaged hard drive, then connecting the old drive vi a USB adapter and running anti virus program to clean the drive and then copy any data that was not on the backup drive to the replacement drive.. All told spent only an hr and was back to normal.

At work, the IT group is over the top virus and security happy, have the computers so heavily overtaxed with anti viri/malware and security stuff that the PC is nearly unusable.

My PC AT WORK was also hit by a virus, took the IT dept an entire work day to "fix" it with anti virus repair tools.. That PC never ever worked correctly until they "refreshed" it with a new PC several years later..

Even active paid for antivirus software will not stop or prevent attacks..

Stopping the attacks in the first place at the browser level tends to be better and more effective than antivirus software..

AdBlockPlus and NoScript are now my weapons of choice as first defense..

Most virus/malware attacks use third party ads which tend to be unsecure AND they make exclusive use of JavaScripts (note this is not the same as "JAVA"..

JavaScripts have full and complete unfettered access to install unwanted software, make changes to any and all security settings and so on.. It has full administrative privileges.. and worst of all those changes can and are made in the background without you ever seeing it happening.

AdBlockPlus stops a lot of the third party unsecure ads and NoScript stops all JavaScripts from firing..

NoScript can be a bit of a pain since it stops "good" and "bad" JavaScripts.. So, some websites will not function.. But you can look at a list of scripts and only enable a couple and get the website working..

Just takes a few seconds and a little guessing but it does put some power back into your hands and a side effect is your PC and Internet will run faster without un-needed web ads/scripts being downloaded and security software dogging your computer speed.

It works for me.. But, if you are paranoid and to lazy to backup your data then have at it with all those "security" programs that randomly change in quality..

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use any of these products. They are so intrusive and have so many fingers on every far little corner of your system and slows your system down. I used to have them but removed them. Now I run CCleaner and Malware bytes once a week. While these are not strictly speaking virus protection they are much more prevalent.

AVG in my opinion is the worst to gum up your system. Not only that it is very difficult to remove all of it's bits and peices from your system it is truly one of the most intrusive.

When I see any sign of suspected virus activity I run the Panda Cloud version.

I have been using computers at work and in my home since before there was a microsoft or an Apple. In all that time I have had ONE, yes ONE virus on an MS Win7 system at home. I was able to get rid of it myself.

IN my opinion this is one of those Billion dollar industries that while is a good thing especially for business, is not needed by most of us. (But the profits are just too great to be ignored)

If you follow a few simple procedures as habits when on line and TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF when not using it and run a good malware program regularly you can make yourself pretty safe without these programs.

I am well aware that this is a contrary view and probably not a popular one. But my results over the years supports my decision.

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
I use Web Root. Never had an issue
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

I would kill anyone who put Symantec/Norton anything on my computer. Memory hogs, overpriced, and almost impossible to completely remove.

One of the best things you can do is keep your software up to date, and pay attention to where you click. Don't use links that come to you in emails; go directly to the site and log in.

There was a time when Norton was known for being a memory hog and would bog down the system.This is no longer the case. FWIW I buy it on sale and wait for my subscription to expire before installing. I would never pay full price.
The second paragraph about keeping software up to date and taking care where you click is great advice.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
A/V - Malware: Eset Nod32 (better than the previously mentioned offerings) Probably ESET an Eset "Smart Security product"

Malwarbeytes

Ccleaner: Rids the system of junk files, etc

They're all 3 for DIFFERENT things - use these 3 and you should never have a problem

Don't forget to uninstall and "junk the preinstalled offerings first thing"

Oh, and just let (Windows) Windows Defender do its thing
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I'm an IT guy, we have heavy duty stuff at work but I find the home stuff lacking. I actually don't run anything extra other than the windows built in stuff.

I also treat my computer as expendable, I really don't care if I have to re-install, I don't have anything on it that isn't backed up and I can re-install easily. It can be even easier if you run it as a VM so that you just have to re-image a known good copy.

In other words just don't depend on your pc staying clean, you will likely get hit at some point no matter what you do so make sure you have backups. It amazes me how few do.

X2. I've reinstalled the OS on this computer before and also have it well backed up, just in case. I use Macrium Reflect.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

I've only used Free AV on all my PCs/Macs since 2002, and have never had a breach that effected my systems. Not the case just a year earlier when using the most popular "paid" AV which managed to let a virus through that wiped out my hard drive.

My top choices for free AV is Bitdefender and Avira for WIN 10/WIN 7. Bitdefender is pretty much install and forget it. It has very little settings for the end user. Yet is consistently top ranked for protection, both free and paid AV, while among the least taxing on system performance from independent security testing organizations such as AV-Test.org and av-comparatives.org. It's also the least intrusive for popup messages.

AVIRA Free is also top rated, offering the same protection levels as Bitdefender, and among the least taxing on performance than most all AV apps. It offers more setting options to users, but also has more popup ads for their paid versions.

AVAST Free achieved the same level of protection as Bitdefender and AVIRA. But is significantly more taxing on system performance, rating near the bottom of 22 AV rated by AV-Test.org for WIN 10. Which is the only reason I don't install it on my systems.

Though the most effective advise may be to not use an WIN admin account when surfing the web or any unknown networks.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I installed Avast Free anti-virus today to try it out. So far, so good. I found it pretty highly rated by PC Mag and others on the Internet. If, for some reason, I don't like it my next choice is a Kapersky Suite, also highly rated.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I use Avast Free, and Malwarebytes Free.

I would kill anyone who put Symantec/Norton anything on my computer. Memory hogs, overpriced, and almost impossible to completely remove.

One of the best things you can do is keep your software up to date, and pay attention to where you click. Don't use links that come to you in emails; go directly to the site and log in.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i presently use Avast and NoScript and Ad Blocker

x2
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Daily:
Norton - primary/active
Adaware - passive
Superantispyware - passive

Weekly Full Scan:
Norton
Adaware
Superantispyware