cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Youtube TV, a positive experience

lss177
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a long-time Directv home customer, pretty satisfied... recently started using Youtube TV (YTV) while camping, and wanted to report on that very positive experience. As long as my Verizon signal has at least a bar or two, really smooth YTV streaming. YTV has a good selection of channels, including local channels and lots of sports for $40 per month.

When camping, no more hoping I can get some decent over-the-air channels... I've never gone the route of using Directv while camping, looks like a lot of hit-and-miss on that front.

So, I think Satellite services (DTV, Dish) are in big trouble, I think YTV is the future... probably going to punt on home DTV pretty soon.

Give YTV a try, you can get a free trial on the YTV website.

Happy camping!
28 REPLIES 28

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
And when 5G comes, look out cable and satellite companies. Investment wise Iโ€™m out of them.

Yes, as soon as that happens I'll get it all through Verizon, cause I hate Comcast
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dropped DTV about a year ago as a cost saving measure. My bill was $135 a month along with a $80 a month Fiberoptic internet bill, I was running about $215 a month on entertainment (Internet+TV).

I downloaded Playstation Vue (Don't need a playstation to use this, available app on any smart TV or RUKU/Amazon fire-stick/etc.

I got all stations that we watched, More sports channels and HBO and Showtime (which we didn't have in our $135 DTV package) for $80 a month (Their max channel selection package), cutting my bill $55. I also got the ability to watch everything I get at home on my phone and tablet. It has a DVR function that records programs you select and keeps them for 30 days.

I use it to Cast/stream to my camper's smart TV through my cell's internet connection when we have good cell service and watch OTA/DVD's or Amazon Prime movies I have downloaded on my tablet that I can cast to the TV when we have poor internet connection.

I'm not a big TV watcher when we are camping but we have the bases covered if it's raining cats and dogs and get stuck inside or want to watch a movie before going to bed.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I do get a few OTA stations but not many.

Consider a better antenna and a taller mounting location. You might be surprised at what you can get for around $100 !

Start here AntennaWeb.org and find out just how far you are to the OTA stations.

If you want to feed multiple TVs in your house, get an amplifier/splitter.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have a smart phone, only a pay by the minute tracfon, so no streaming for me. I figure I save up to $800 a year on that. I have dish for home & my rv & it works pretty well as long as there aren't too many trees in the way.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We live between NY and Boston and everyone thinks up to date technology. We have no cable where at home and no cell service unless I go outside, and that is a maybe. The DSL service works now and then. Dish works all the time and is cheaper then unlimited data on the phone. I do get a few OTA stations but not many. Dish for me is a bargain.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
And when 5G comes, look out cable and satellite companies. Investment wise Iโ€™m out of them.

Satellite TV will soon be the way of the past, cable will still be OK cause of people needing internet, that's what is keeping them afloat at the moment.

This simply is not true. Satellite TV is not going anywhere unless maybe you meant soon to be 20+ or so years from now. First, there are too many parts of this Country which are not served by either good internet or cable and second, no internet based service offers the line up available from satellite. You can pay for a bunch of them separately but then you might as well have satellite!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I've rarely had a problem camping with directv but I've had plenty of weak cell signals.

^^^^^^^^^^ X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Add a Tablo box to your network and you can easily intergrate OTA channels through a Roku box or smart TV.

It can also record OTA and you can watch the recorded shows remotly thru your smartphone, tablet and of course your local TV.

Cable and Sat are dead.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
lss177 wrote:
YTV has a good selection of channels, including local channels and lots of sports for $40 per month.

I am currently using DirecTV NOW (no real connection to DirecTV other than name and same parent, company, AT&T) because YTTV dos NOT have as good a channel selection. I would switch in a heartbeat if the channel line up as identical.

I should try it over my "phone as a hot spot".

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Satellite TV will soon be the way of the past, cable will still be OK cause of people needing internet, that's what is keeping them afloat at the moment.

I cut the cord about 4 years ago, so much better things on Roku and the internet for so little money, heck most of it is free..

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about Youtube TV when we become snowbirds next winter. From what I can tell, it's not available in the area of Florida we'll be at. A further check shows it's only available in about 100 markets nationwide. Great if you live in one of those areas but if not, satellite is still the way to go.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I've rarely had a problem camping with directv but I've had plenty of weak cell signals.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have used youtube tv since last January. We love the idea of the record feature and the on demand. Very satisfied with it even though we only use it at home. We gave up satelite tv 3 years ago and saved a bunch of money.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad