cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am NOT a Tech so excuse me if I use the wrong terms.

I did not want to hijack an other posting.

Assume I use a ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet at my S&B home when I am not on the road in my RV. I will also be able to move the ZTE Mobley to my TT while I am on the road.

In my S&B home I will need to connect the Mobley to my existing Ethernet and Wireless router. I do not think the Mobley has an Ethernet connection am I correct. . . . . :h . . . My problem would be solved if the Mobley had the Ethernet connection.

Questions?

1. Will all or most Ethernet & wireless LAN routers connect wireless to the Mobley? What special words do I need to look for when purchasing a new router/WIFI booster/extender/router.

2. Since I will have 2 wireless networks (the Mobley and the Ethernet/WIFI router) in the home, when I move from room to room will my (say laptop) automatically switch from one network to the other or will I need to log out/in to the different networks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just can't figure out why that device is not listing on the ZTE website. The only Mobley listed is the 5 connection device and it shows the same VM6200 model number.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
I see what you mean about the one on Amazon, even has a different label printed on it than mine.

10 user model on Amazon

Wow! $220 to get the 10 device capability seems pretty steep to me. There are much cheaper ways to increase the device count.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
dcrv wrote:
Here's my Mobley. Paying $20/month with no contact for unlimited (22GB LTE, then throttled) in the car connected device plan. Paid $99 direct from AT&T online and had it literally next day with free shipping.

The Mobley Connected Car Unlimuted 4G/LTE plan is NOT "throttled" after 22GB. It is instead "deprioritized" when connected to a heavily congested tower, but only for the duration of the congestion. That's a significant difference...

There was no way I was paying $25-$30 bucks for an AC adapter. Nope.
I'm tech savvy and decided to mod my own. I didn't want to make any mods that would make it unable to plug into the OBDII port, so I decided to simply open the unit up and tap into the power lines (pins 4 and 16) and solder on some leads and use a screw terminal barrel connector. This allows me to power the Mobe in three ways: 1.) Standard 12V AC wall adapter. Mine is 2.5A, but I would recommend at at least 1.5A. 2.) Battery pack. I can use a brick of 8 AA batteries or any sort of battery pack with a 5.5mm barrel. 3.) Vehicle 12V cigarette charger with a 5.5mm tip.

The newest firmware has a no timeout option, so I've been using it at home and work as well as in the car. Speeds aren't what I was expecting (likely due to no carrier aggregation), but still a hell of a deal for $20/month (and probably less than that since I will be using a discount code).

For about $5 you could have gotten a female OBD2 plug and a USB 5-volt to 12-volt adapter on eBay that would allow you to use pretty much any USB power source without digging into the Mobley's innerds at all. Even cheaper, standard push-on connectors can be attached to an existing 12-volt wall wart's wires and just pushed on pins 4 & 16 for a quick 120 VAC power supply.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dcrv
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my Mobley. Paying $20/month with no contact for unlimited (22GB LTE, then throttled) in the car connected device plan. Paid $99 direct from AT&T online and had it literally next day with free shipping.

There was no way I was paying $25-$30 bucks for an AC adapter. Nope.
I'm tech savvy and decided to mod my own. I didn't want to make any mods that would make it unable to plug into the OBDII port, so I decided to simply open the unit up and tap into the power lines (pins 4 and 16) and solder on some leads and use a screw terminal barrel connector. This allows me to power the Mobe in three ways: 1.) Standard 12V AC wall adapter. Mine is 2.5A, but I would recommend at at least 1.5A. 2.) Battery pack. I can use a brick of 8 AA batteries or any sort of battery pack with a 5.5mm barrel. 3.) Vehicle 12V cigarette charger with a 5.5mm tip.

The newest firmware has a no timeout option, so I've been using it at home and work as well as in the car. Speeds aren't what I was expecting (likely due to no carrier aggregation), but still a hell of a deal for $20/month (and probably less than that since I will be using a discount code).

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you mean about the one on Amazon, even has a different label printed on it than mine.

10 user model on Amazon
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
Mobleys ordered off of Amazon from a Canadian source do allow 10 connections.

Agree with you sir and here is a side note. That last image I made was using my mobley which was installed on my OBDII connector in my suburban with the ignition turned off. Here is my latest with my mobley inside my RV: Am sorry I only have 7 devices to offer me proof: No.2 is my TV running Netflics and No. 4 is my TV running Amazon's Fire Stick.

And here are results of a speed test:
Your Test Results (Tested on 7/25/2017, 1:46:55 PM)
Download Speed: 22.38 Mbps (2797.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 21.74 Mbps (2717.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 49 ms

So far, I reckon I am getting a good return on my $20 a month.
"No matter how far you go...there you are?"

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Mobleys ordered off of Amazon from a Canadian source do allow 10 connections.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. What is your firmware? My VM6200MD_C running VM6200V1.01 only allows 5 devices and the screen is completely different than yours. Are you going to attwifimanager/index.html or some other screen?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
AMOS33 wrote:
My ZTE Mobley is the VM6200 updated with the latest firmware and can only connect 10 devices. But using the SIM card from AT&T, it works well enough for me.

I think if you check your Mobley you will find it can connect to only 5 devices at any one time.

I reckon someone forgot to tell my Mobley of that restriction sir:

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what you are trying to say here. The link you provide is to a router that had NO internet connection of its own. It's just a router.
Could you clarify?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another one.

Do your research many devices will do what you are looking for.

The Mobility is a neat device however, if you have poor cell phone reception it really is not the answer for high speed internet.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Compatible-TL-MR3040/dp/B0088PPFP4
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
AMOS33 wrote:
My ZTE Mobley is the VM6200 updated with the latest firmware and can only connect 10 devices. But using the SIM card from AT&T, it works well enough for me.

I think if you check your Mobley you will find it can connect to only 5 devices at any one time.

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer

Your Test Results (Tested on 7/24/2017, 8:46:59 AM)
Download Speed: 17.95 Mbps (2243.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 28 Mbps (3500 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 45 ms

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not using it with a Mobley, but with my Jetpack. The concept is the same either way. The GL-AR150 would connect to the Mobley via WiFi and it would then provide an Ethernet connection to a computer or any device needing a wired connection.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does that have WiFi as a WAN? If so, that's a heckuva deal.
The router has to have WiFi as a WAN in order to have the Mobley connect up and work.

If you just use WiFi only.. nothing cabled, you can connect up to five devices to the Mobley.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS