cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time to buy new?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
We have an RV that we plan on replacing in the next few years. We want to go new, not used, but want to get the best deals. Is it better to buy at the end of the season or at the start of the season? I know end of the season will be less selection.
20 REPLIES 20

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Late fall or early winter. We've gotten great deals on our RVs then.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
I agree with "right after school starts" but remember that NEW loses half its price (not value to you, but resale price) in the first 15 months.

Gently used??

Err, I'm not sure this is accurate. Yes, they lose value, but not 50% at 15 months, at least not right now. We traded in a toyhauler last year that was 3 years old, and it lost around 25% of original purchase price when brand new.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Best time to by new?

Only if it is a lot queen. But there are not many of those around now days.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Lee_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Is 35% off MSRP really accurate? I've seen $200K units with $100K discounts. Mind you it was a new 2020 while 2021's were also on the lot beside it.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The best deal is finding the RV that fits your camping lifestyle. If it doesn't no deal is a deal.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Shortage? Every where I go there seem to be plenty of everything on the lots. North of Richmond on I 95 must be a mile of them. Currently in FL and see plenty here to. Been all over the SE and see plenty everywhere. Used, not so much but seem to be plenty of new on the major lots.

On 95, If you are talking about Mcgeorge's and Safford Rv, both have been bought by CW. And if you peruse their inventory on line regularly (yes I still do that) you would notice it's about 1/4 what it was pre pandemic. CW gets first dibs on inventory but if you look close, all their inventory lines the fence along the interstate. Their lot is pretty bare.

And I was told by my local shop recently that although they may have been shipped units for inventory, many are waiting on Fridges, couches, faucet fixtures etc. They arrive at the dealerships with missing parts that they need to be installed once they become available. I have to imagine if someone wanted a unit with missing parts another nearby gets cannibalized.

That said, demand for new has slowed and supply is catching up. Most COVID campers already bough theirs and people have started to return to work in the supply chain.

Post Covid, demand will come to a halt and supply will be high. That will be the time to make a deal, however I wonder if quality will suffer even more than usual during the rush to keep up with demand.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what market we're in, a deal can be found if your patient.
We've bought 4 trailers at the end of year.

Marc_Sparks
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new comfortable futon mattress just because of this reason which you have mentioned.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shortage? Every where I go there seem to be plenty of everything on the lots. North of Richmond on I 95 must be a mile of them. Currently in FL and see plenty here to. Been all over the SE and see plenty everywhere. Used, not so much but seem to be plenty of new on the major lots.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with "right after school starts" but remember that NEW loses half its price (not value to you, but resale price) in the first 15 months.

Gently used??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:
It depends on what you're looking for. A Super C or Class A? Short supply. TTs? Tons of them unless you're stuck on one particular TT, and even then a patient buyer can find deals. Be willing to buy from a distance and not relying on RV Trader expands your choices.

Know what floor plan you want and have a budget that includes EVERYTHING, including replacing the mattress or upgrading the suspension if that's your plan. "35% off MSRP" is useless if you leave the lot and you still have to spend to get "camp ready"

I agree. Keep in mind, toy-haulers are still "in season" right now. All the 5th wheels are in Arizona and Texas, with snowbirds trading up before they leave. Best deals are had right after schools start and around Christmas.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what you're looking for. A Super C or Class A? Short supply. TTs? Tons of them unless you're stuck on one particular TT, and even then a patient buyer can find deals. Be willing to buy from a distance and not relying on RV Trader expands your choices.

Know what floor plan you want and have a budget that includes EVERYTHING, including replacing the mattress or upgrading the suspension if that's your plan. "35% off MSRP" is useless if you leave the lot and you still have to spend to get "camp ready"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A few weeks after you sell your existing RV yourself for a great price would be my choice.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think any time, if you do your home work, have all your ducks lined up. know what the real value is of the unit you want, and your in control of the deal. you can make a purchase that you are happy with.