cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Class A or C motorhome for family of 4

jaycle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Iโ€™m a first time RV'er, and Iโ€™m thinking of buying a used 1985 or newer class A or C motor home for camping trips with my family. I've had a 22 foot TT in the past and do not want another - hated towing it around. Our budget is up to $10,000. Our boys are ages 5 and 7. We live in Oregon and we would like to use it for weekend trips and longer road trips up to 3 weeks. We would like to visit many different National Parks, Forest Service and state campgrounds, and beaches. We could see ourselves taking trips up to Alaska and maybe even cross country. I dislike driving huge rigs.

Looking for any suggestions on the smallest one that would be comfortable on longer trips? Iโ€™ll be test driving before I buy, but from your personal experience, is there a difference driving a 24 footer vs a 30 footer? Any major difference in engine/drivetrain/transmission/chassis? I donโ€™t know if it would be possible, but for the places I know Iโ€™d like to visit, a 4x4 might be handy, so ease of converting it might factor into my decision, but I know at my price point, I wonโ€™t have much choice.

So far, Iโ€™ve seen a Fleetwood flair 1996, 22 foot, Class A, and a โ€˜ultra rareโ€™ Sterling, 1985, 24 foot Class A. The floor plans of both look nice with a queen bed in the back; Iโ€™m just not sure if there will be enough beds in front for both boys. Iโ€™m also not sure if I should bump up my search to include 27 footers. Also, what about the age and mileage, should I be looking for only newer, less than 15 years old and less that 60,000 miles, or does it matter? What would be your cut-off for age/mileage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you come across an American Clipper, even though it's well beyond the 1990 cutoff, don't write it off. They are fiberglass and extremely well built. And well within your $10,000 budget, you could find one in good shape and do a bit to it to get it in great shape.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jaycle
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the suggestions. we will go with a class C for the 2 dedicated beds. we are still hunting on craigslist for one in our budget. we will probably stick to 1990 or newer.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer the C class for several reasons. First the cab over bed was the boy's "cave" when traveled with us had his dvd player and his games up there and when he wanted his privacy he had it plus nothing had to be picked up till the trip was over. The other reason for out preference is cost of repairs IMHO the more the hood the less the cost of repairs and the easier to find a repair facility.
As far as length several of the places we have gone had a 27 foot limit.
Now as far as age our unit is 28 years old and we have had it for four years.
With a major trip every year. The first to Yellowstone/Mount Rushmore.The second only made it to St Louis cut short by broken leg. Third up Highway one of California and Oregon. Forth and current along the south up to Virginia and currently in Nashville.
Short trips in state uncountable.
Yes we have had repairs but as the mobile mechanic told us this year after he found the short in the brake light circuit, paid for by Good Sam's," I work on just as many newer RV's if not more than the older ones.

We budget for repairs and when we need repairs we do not patch it we fix it.
As far as the coach part being worn out yeah the colors are dated and there are some wear and some repair people do not want to or know how to work on the older stuff
IMHO find the floor plan you like within your budget, if your budget is $10,000 Spend no more than $7,000 on the RV with $3000 left over for repairs, with money left over for repairs and tires if over 5/6 years old 4 if in Phoenix. Make sure there are no leaks. Get the Good Sam's road side assistance and go have fun and make memories.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
Wheelbase. Longer wheel base models will ride better but are more of a challenge to maneuver. For a first rig, I'd go with a class C. Mechanically, they are easier to get engine and transmission parts and service. Usually short enough to handle easy while still giving a decent ride. Class A's are more deluxe usually but there is a huge variety of chassis (bus, truck, custom) and that makes repair parts more problematic.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a Class C, you could do a 21 to 24ft. Cabover bed for the boys - they'll love it now at their ages, and by the time they're tired of it, they'll be on their own. Mom & Dad use the dinette bed. You may be able to find a bunkhouse model, but the bunk beds may not be as popular as the boys grow bigger, and unless Mom & Dad use the cabover bed, you'll waste space there that could be more useful. There are also some "double dinette" models that have the cabover bed, a dinette and kitchen midship, and a second dinette at the back - You could put the kids in the cabover, and use the back dinette as a dedicated bed for Mom & Dad.

As the owner of an "older" class C, I don't see anything wrong with buying older. But, make sure you:

1) do your homework - research, research, and research. Look up customer satisfaction of various makes. Study up on what to look for when you check out possible RVs. Be thorough, both on the chassis and the house.

2) be prepared to put in money after purchase to make necessary repairs at the outset. The more you pay for the RV, ideally the less you will need to put out at the beginning on repairs to get it in good working order (but that depends on how well you do #1). If you're mechanically handy, that will help defray costs.

3) do several practice runs locally. Drive it on day trips, etc. Get the motor running, so to speak, so you can catch any problems before that big trip.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motorhomes depreciate rapidly even though many are parked most of their lives. I would sooner go with a low mileage older unit after verifying no unusual problems with the particular make and model.

A Class C will provide more RV for your money. Be sure to check that the sleeping area for your kids will be large enough for them as they grow. I see RV's that state they sleep 4 but in reality they will not have room for 4 full sized individuals.

To find an RV for under $10,000 that will be reliable is asking a great deal. At $35,000 it would not be difficult. At least for short trips in your area a very old motorhome that might breakdown while traveling will be less of a worry. A neighbor of mine bought a 22' Winnebago for $3,000 and spent another $2,000 on repairs and servicing and goes at most 150 miles from his house and it has worked out perfectly for him.

If you have an adequate tow vehicle it will be much easier to find a very nice travel trailer for $10,000.

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, and I'm saying this to try to help you, a $10K budget for a Class A or C sounds like the beginning of a painful journey. If you're very careful and lucky you might find a good one, but you're looking 20-30 year fold RV's at that price point. Hopefully you've also set aside some money for repair and maintenance because I would certainly expect that. But again you might get lucky and find one in your budget that has been very well taken care of. Good luck!
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
IF I bought a 30 year old MH for $10,000 I'd make sure it would at least start. And I wouldn't set up camp any place where I couldn't walk home. Like your driveway.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
any gas class A older than 1999 will have a less than stellar chassis.
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The "house" part of most 1985 units will be pretty much worn out. I'd try to get something that is not more than 5 years old.

A 26 foot class C would be my first choice.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would much rather buy new. I'd rather pay the depreciation than worry about what the previous owner did with the Motorhome. I'm sure there are nice older motorhomes, but once you get into double digits in age, you have both the chassis and the house to worry about.

That being said, I think you will find better sleeping arrangements with a Class C. Most 24 footers and larger will have a full/queen bed, plus the cab over at the very least. The dinette will most likely fold down for a bed and if there is a sofa it may also fold down for another bed. Most Class As only have one full/queen bed. Usually the only other beds would be fold dinette and/or sofa.

You can find bunk beds in both Class Cs and Class As, but usually you have to go with a longer motorhome. Our Class C has bunks and is 32'.

The only large vehicle I ever drove before owning our Class C was a 26' U-Haul truck that I drove from NJ to GA. When I first drove our Motorhome, I didn't really notice a difference between driving it over the U-haul.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29' Sightseer from Winnebago which is just right for us. Our kids camped with us before they left for college. Son took the DR table bed, Daughter took the sofa, Wife & I took the queen bed in back, dog took the hallway. Worked great for us. Any smaller and we would be congested.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....