cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CB Radio???

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I was on the road today in my car and a question popped into my head....

Do trucks still use CB radios today with all of the tech available? Is it a good option to add along with an RV GPS for newbies?

What say you?
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
35 REPLIES 35

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
Thanks for all the replies...salty language isn't an issue for a submariner so no worries but it may be smart to add one just for the road conditions discussed

:W

Glad you found the responses helpful. Even if you install a CB and decide not to use as much as you expected, There is no cost to have it in our RV after the initial installation. BREAKER! BREAKER!

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies...salty language isn't an issue for a submariner so no worries but it may be smart to add one just for the road conditions discussed

:W
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
As some are fond of saying about nearly anything, "It is just good insurance!"
It pays to remember that there are many areas of the country where cell service is spotty at best, non-existent at worst. Do not believe those maps where the cell company has an entire state painted in, particularly here in the West! It might not be entirely accurate!
As a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, I have an all-band, all mode 100 watt radio in the truck. If I had room (without hanging it from the roof) I would also have a CB in there! Maybe I'll get the one that has the box under the seat, and all the controls are on the mic.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jkwilson wrote:
I've had them in my trucks for a long time. Fishing and hunting trips with multiple vehicles it's nice to have a little conversation, and before cell phones it was important to be able to let the others know you needed to stop for gas or were having a problem.

As far as road conditions and police, Waze does a better job of letting you know what is coming up, though the CB is better for things like finding out which lane is actually moving.

I travel the same route sometimes camping and NOT camping from PA to VA,, I love using Waze, but do not listen to the alternate routes when towing. I have had it take me some strange ways that a camper would NEVER make it, or allowed.. So basically I use waze for police, accidents, objects on road, ect ,. . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had them in my trucks for a long time. Fishing and hunting trips with multiple vehicles it's nice to have a little conversation, and before cell phones it was important to be able to let the others know you needed to stop for gas or were having a problem.

As far as road conditions and police, Waze does a better job of letting you know what is coming up, though the CB is better for things like finding out which lane is actually moving.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I just got one given to me, I just need and antenna and it is going in my TV. Handy when traveling, after 22 1/2 yrs in the Navy, they cannot come up with something I have never heard (or said) It is just nice to know what is ahead.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Spade Cooley wrote:
I'm thinking about putting mine back in service after people yelling at me that I had a problem. I blew two tires on my last road trip across Hwy 80. Rather than the hand motions or flashing of lights a radio transmission might have been quicker.

I also recommend putting a sticker on the rear of your RV with the CB channel you normally use.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
CB Radios-
I always drive with my CB on. The antenna is more important than the CB. I use a Wilson antenna which is about 4' high. Short antennas might not be as obtrusive but not nearly as effective. Reason for using my CB:
1. I always contact truckers on the current Road conditions/accidents/ closed lanes. The truckers will also suggest alternative routes when the freeways, roads are totally congested or temporarily closed. If I see another RVer who has tire problems. and they have a CB antenna, I will try to contact them and warn them.
2. I have heard as much fowl, obscene langauage on a typical High school campus as I heard on any CB from truckers. When I hear objectionable language, I just reach down and turn the squelch up to block the cussing.
3. For those of us who are human and sometimes aren't paying attention to how fast they are driving, I use the CB and ask the truckers "breaker, breaker, what did you leave on the road behind you" which translated means, did you see any bears or Calif. Highway patrol cars. Truckers will tell you how many "Bears" and their locations they saw. This gives you time to slow down and avoid tickets. I also would not drive without my Radar (Valentine) on to warn me of "Bears" within 1/4 of mile around me. :).
4. CB channels---On the west coast, truckers use channel 17. Other states use channel 18 generally. The CB will also give you up to date Weather conditions like hurricanes/storms etc.
5. CBs are great for helping you back up into sites. Just buy you partner a hand held CB radio and they can talk to you directly and hands free to guide you into your site.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
CB Radios-
I always drive with my CB on. The antenna is more important than the CB. I use a Wilson antenna which is about 4' high. Short antennas might not be as obtrusive but not nearly as effective. Reason for using my CB:
1. I always contact truckers on the current Road conditions/accidents/ closed lanes. The truckers will also suggest alternative routes when the freeways, roads are totally congested or temporarily closed. If I see another RVer who has tire problems. and they have a CB antenna, I will try to contact them and warn them.
2. I have heard as much fowl, obscene langauage on a typical High school campus as I heard on any CB from truckers. When I hear objectionable language, I just reach down and turn the squelch up to block the cussing.
3. For those of us who are human and sometimes aren't paying attention to how fast they are driving, I use the CB and ask the truckers "breaker, breaker, what did you leave on the road behind you" which translated means, did you see any bears or Calif. Highway patrol cars. Truckers will tell you how many "Bears" and their locations they saw. This gives you time to slow down and avoid tickets. I also would not drive without my Radar (Valentine) on to warn me of "Bears" within 1/4 of mile around me. :).
4. CB channels---On the west coast, truckers use channel 17. Other states use channel 18 generally.
5. CBs are great for helping you back up into sites. Just buy you partner a hand held CB radio and they can talk to you directly and hands free to guide you into your site.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I added a hand held CB unit to my arsenal just as an added security/emergency.

1. Came in 'real' handy for a head on collision with multiple deaths ahead of me. It gave me the instructions what lane to buy to try and get thru before they shut the interstate down. And several traffic jams as to where to get off.

2. Also it has weather radio in real time, where you are at. Save me from heading right into 2 tornadoes over my travels.

3. And I figured if I got stranded somewhere with no cell I could summon help because you can take it with you.

4. Has an optional mag antenna, but never had to use it. I just threw the CG with its antenna on the dash and it always worked. No installation, no holes drilled into the MH dash or roof needed.

5. Kept the squelch turn down real low so I didn't have to listen to the truckers. Who as time has passed are REAL nasty now.

IMHO one of the better things I have purchased for the MH! :C

Cobra Road Trip

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one in the motorhome, the spring mounted antenna over the drivers seat makes a great feeler for low hanging limbs before they hit the air conditioner cover. Also mine has a weather alert feature, great for traveling in tornado alley, though weather apps on phones are also helpful...

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have one in my motorhome. There were a few occasions on my recent trip in Alaska where I would have liked to have had one--most notably approaching a few of the nastier bits of the Dalton highway, where it would be very comforting to know if a semi truck was about to pop into view coming the other way, and presumably vice-versa for them if there was one. Ice cut hill southbound in particular comes to mind.

I had one, because of having 2 daughters traveling with me at all times, I had to really turn the squelch way up.... and volume down because of the trash..

Now that they are older, and not with us as much, I have been thinking of getting it back into the truck again...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have one that I use when traveling. It has come in handy.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back in the 60's and 70's it seemed everybody had one. THey are still in use today and they still provide the occasional bit of very useful information.

Two stories
One old, one much newer

Comign home one Christmas time from my parents house (Family Christmas) Black ice situtation, CB tells me of an overturned semi ahead.. I start backing it down.. Stoped when I got to 1/2 of a 4 car accident, the two at the scene were totaled (The other two were at the nearby truck stop just down the road) I had no damage, not involved.. Had I not had warming I'm not sure I could have stopped safely before crashing into the end of the backup.

Page 2 (Story 2)

Heading south for the winter long about Miler Marker 77 on I-75.. Radio suddenly tells me of not one but TWO fatal accidents long about MM 73.. Exit 76 right in front of me.. I got to the top of the ramp just as they closed the entrance opposite... Spent a nice relaxing evening and night, continued on an open road in the AM (I was in no hurry)

Without the CB I'd have been in several hours worth of Traffic Jam.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times