cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you use a vented dump tank cap during winter storage?

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
While shooting the bull at the dump station, a 20 year camping veteran recommended using a vented dump tank cap during storage. I winterize my trailer with RV anti-freeze and store it in my-inlaw's pole barn with cement floor. Does venting the tank gasses help anything? I'd hate for it to leak onto their barn floor.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Products-T1024-4VP-Carded-Vented/dp/B001VDBNCO
2011 Acadia AWD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
Me, wife, daughter (7), daughter (5), son (1)
13 REPLIES 13

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While maybe it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure I'd want the freezing cold air/draft blowing through the tank. Could it cause more harm than good?
I do not use a vented cap.

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Could be, I have one of those garden hose vent caps as well. I could be wrong but I was assuming the OP meant a cap with a screen so the pipe can dry out. Something like this.
Link to vented cap.

Yes, the linked item is what the guy showed me.
2011 Acadia AWD

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Could be, I have one of those garden hose vent caps as well. I could be wrong but I was assuming the OP meant a cap with a screen so the pipe can dry out. Something like this.
Link to vented cap.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I don't have a vented cap and it's always dry when I remove the cap. I can't imagine the use for a vented cap, but I guess people just try to figure out how to go above and beyond regardless of if it does any good.

There's all sorts of caps out there with the garden hose attachment.

And since we don't want to mention what it's really used for, folks are left to their imagination of what it's purpose is. 😉

I certainly have used mine to drain the grey tank.
bumpy

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I don't have a vented cap and it's always dry when I remove the cap. I can't imagine the use for a vented cap, but I guess people just try to figure out how to go above and beyond regardless of if it does any good.

There's all sorts of caps out there with the garden hose attachment.

And since we don't want to mention what it's really used for, folks are left to their imagination of what it's purpose is. 😉

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
I drain the tanks, leave the valves open, I got one of those caps with a hose fitting, which I leave open.

Lets any condensation drain, gives the critters only a small hole to enter, none yet 🙂

Didn't know about vented caps...

put on a short length of garden hose and use one of those screened washers to keep bugs out.
bumpy

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drain the tanks, leave the valves open, I got one of those caps with a hose fitting, which I leave open.

Lets any condensation drain, gives the critters only a small hole to enter, none yet 🙂

Didn't know about vented caps...
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

I always keep a couple gallons of "pink stuff" in my black and gray tanks with the valves shut so the liquid will keep the seals wet and from drying out.

Ok. Same here. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
2011 Acadia AWD

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Isn't it is already vented to the roof, so no need for a vented cap?

Yes, it has a vent. Didn't think about that. Thank you
2011 Acadia AWD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Um.... NO.

I always keep a couple gallons of "pink stuff" in my black and gray tanks with the valves shut so the liquid will keep the seals wet and from drying out.

I suppose if you wanted to leave the drain open, this would be a useful product. It would let it breathe, and still keep little critters from crawling inside your tanks.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

x2

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad