cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising generator and A/C after winterizing question?

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my travel trailer winterized for the winter. I want to exercise the generator one more time before it goes into storage for winter....and by doing this, i will need to put a good electric load on it. Am I able to run the A/C without affecting any of the winterization I just had done?? Might be a stupid question, but i know the A/C has condensation and water that builds up and runs off the camper. Just didn't know if it affected any pipes or anything inside the camper.
Thanks in Advance
29 REPLIES 29

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones."

My Champion has sat for 6 months every year for the past 6 years, hasn't hurt it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky. 🙂

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Golferdude21 wrote:
Its a gas Onan onboard genny. Havent ran it in a few months figured before it goes indoors and away from me for 5 months i should run it

You should really run it monthly. The worst thing for a genset is to sit for long periods - especially gas ones.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Golferdude21 wrote:
Its a gas Onan onboard genny. Havent ran it in a few months figured before it goes indoors and away from me for 5 months i should run it

Yup, agree then. But either run it out of gas, or put some fresh gas with stabilizer in an empty tank and run that or some no. Ethanol with stabilizer.
Gummed up carbs are a real and common occurrence and it’s easier to take precautions than to clean a carb out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 6 year old Champion 2000 sits idle for 6 months through the winter with no exercise. I put in fresh gas in the spring and start it with one pull.

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a portable electric space heater for exercising our Onan since it is primarily performed during the camping off season. Both of our gennies are actively utilized during the RVing season since we do more boondocking and dry camping than anything else. No issues on prolonged use of space heaters thus far, sometimes we have 2 of them cranking although both are rarely set to high at the same time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Golferdude, you could use a little time learning the concepts of your camper systems. Will help you down the road. (Literally and figuratively).
Why do you need to “exercise” the genny 1 more time?
Is it propane? Then no worry about bad gas.
Just change the oil? If not maybe you should, not really pertinent to this discussion though. But a reason to warm it up.
Gas stability? This is real if it’s gasoline powered. Stabilize some fresh fuel or throw some Av gas in it for the winter and run it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
With the way these RV's are thrown together I don't doubt that from time to time an outlet has been installed with the wiring not inserted correctly. But that of course does not mean that every outlet is installed incorrectly and therefore a problem. I have run a 1500 watt space heater in my trailer for many years with no problems and I will continue to do so. If you're really concerned you would have to unplug or turn off the generator and pull the outlet out of the wall to inspect. See if there are signs of heat damage like burnt or discolored wire insulation or melting in the plastic near the wire contact points. If no damage push the outlet back into the wall and don't worry about it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Golferdude21 wrote:
Jeeze I didnt realize this. I always used to just use the propane heater to heat until last weekend when i read that most people use a space heater when on shore power to save propane. So i used a small1 on high so 1500watts and worked good. Didnt think that ud have outlet problems frim wiring w just one....WOW. We had it goin overnight too...??

Maybe it depends on your trailer, but I’ve run a space heater on high for years on mine without issue.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want to warm up the generator, drive out the moisture. You do not need to put on a load, just let the generator run 15 minutes or so.

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
I guess i should probably take that outlet off to make sure no wires are messed up huh?

Golferdude21
Explorer
Explorer
Jeeze I didnt realize this. I always used to just use the propane heater to heat until last weekend when i read that most people use a space heater when on shore power to save propane. So i used a small1 on high so 1500watts and worked good. Didnt think that ud have outlet problems frim wiring w just one....WOW. We had it goin overnight too...??

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Running the A/C won't hurt the thing or affect winterizing since winterizing an AC amounts to cleaning the filters.

HOWEVER DO NOT RUN A/C IF BELOW FREEZING OUT.

Space heaters. on low.. up to 4 (depending on generator) each on a seperate breaker.. That works

Space heaters (2) on high may work however they may also damage the outlets. Have seen 3 so far (one in my own rv) damaged by a space heater load

Now have special outlets in my RV for those (15/20 amp, 12 ga wire bent around a screw, not punch down and one outlet to a breaker)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
No harm running the AC, but Gen sets should be exercised monthly not just once before storage.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Running the A/C will not hurt any of the plumbing since there's no connection between them. If the humidity is low enough, there may not be any significant condensation anyway.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate