cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First trip

mdgalusza
Explorer
Explorer
Starting soon, Tampa area to Nova Scotia, PEI, etc..
Traveling alone with my cat, both of us newbies to this. Any thoughts or ideas?
2006 Four Winds Hurricane Class A
1 slideout
Ford V10
55,000 miles
10 REPLIES 10

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
1 You don't need to hook up everything every night. We generally just use the electric and the water and dump about every 3d day depending on how much water we have used.
2) Even if the place has water, fill your tank about 1/2
3) Take you time, we like to stop by 3 at the latest and more closer to 2. Your cat won't care, but you will have time to walk some of the drive off, make a leisurely dinner, meet the neighbors, and explore.
4) If you can, camp out in the RV one night before you go. You will be amazed at how many times you go into the house to get something you forgot. Also, you will immediately know if you have enough blankets on the bed.
5) Meals should be simple and satisfying. Have a lot of health snacks cause cooking just for yourself can be a pain.
6) If you have the time, check out those brown signs along the road.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat learned to walk on a leash and loved camping. We kept a leash on him when traveling so if he tried to make a run for it we could grab the leash.
He leaned to loved to go for walks. Every night he would go to the door and ask to be let our. When we got to the door he would go sit on his leash so we would clip it on his collar.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I don't know when you're starting out, but I'd suggest making a first "trip" somewhere a lot closer to home, possibly your own driveway if you're allowed and able to do that. The idea here is more to familiarize oneself with the RV and its systems and figure out any really essential items that you need to get before leaving on a "real" trip.

Otherwise, have fun and enjoy the adventure!

We're not new to RV's at all, but, this is what we do with any new, or new-to-us RV.
We go to the lake, which is about 9 miles from home, "camp" for the weekend. If we've forgotten, or need anything we have the car handy to run home & get it. Or make a note to put it in when we get home.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Hands wrote:
When you make an overnight stop, go to a reputable campground, not a Wal Mart parking lot or an abandoned gas station or a rest stop. You will sleep in a less noisy place with a better feeling of security. Have a great trip.

I have had a great many overnights at Walmart. Never had an issue or noise. Security cannot be beat as the Walmart Supercenters have cameras and 24hr security. I reciprocate by doing all my shopping there.

I would agree about some rest stops. I only stay if there are a bunch of other folks also staying for the night. I have never stopped at abandoned buildings of any kind.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know when you're starting out, but I'd suggest making a first "trip" somewhere a lot closer to home, possibly your own driveway if you're allowed and able to do that. The idea here is more to familiarize oneself with the RV and its systems and figure out any really essential items that you need to get before leaving on a "real" trip.

Otherwise, have fun and enjoy the adventure!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Have a great trip! By the time you get out of Florida you'll be a pro.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your cat used to traveling in a vehicle (other than to the vet)? If not, he/she is likely to be rather displeased with this adventure, at least at first, and could do some rather dangerous things (like plant him/herself under the brake pedal - my husband's childhood cat did that once) or try to escape at the first opportunity. I suggest the following:
1) have the cat microchipped, and sign up with the ID service that comes with the chip (your vet can advise on this)
2) keep a collar on the cat at all times, with ID & rabies vaccination tags on the collar
3) have a harness & leash to keep on the cat when you are "in port," so to speak, in case of the aforementioned escape attempts
4) get a largish carrier and keep the cat in it when you are underway; in camp it can become a sort of "safe haven" for the cat, once it's used to it, though otherwise it's fine to let the cat have the run of the house in a MH. We bought a "small dog" carrier which is large enough our cat can sit up and even stand in it, turn around, etc. comfortably; it has screen mesh sides & front so the cat can see out. Keep the carrier seatbelted in when underway as well.

Since you are planning to cross into Canada, make sure to scope out what's required for bringing pets (and pet food) into Canada. You will definitely need an up-to-date (and fairly recent) rabies vaccination, at minimum.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have made the last three trips solo with my furkid. Stop early enough for the night so you can set up and enjoy the evening. Be aware of surroundings. If something doesn't feel right in a rest area or shopping center where you made a stop, leave. Start looking for gas about 1/2 tank...make sure you have easy exit, especially if you have a tow car. Weather not good? Pull over in next rest area or stay an extra day or two in campground.

Look into Passport America for reduced camping rates, check for restrictions.

Good luck, safe travels.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
When you make an overnight stop, go to a reputable campground, not a Wal Mart parking lot or an abandoned gas station or a rest stop. You will sleep in a less noisy place with a better feeling of security. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
When you stop for one night, ask a worker or local what is near by. Take your time. We have seen many thing that were not on the map or in our plans. Sometimes we stayed one more night just to see something new.