cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign RVers in the US & Canada

superfudge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. My (adult) daughter and I came over from the UK last month and stayed with family in Georgia while we got set up with a truck and travel trailer. We were told - apparently incorrectly - by a driving test office in GA that I could take my driving test there and get a US license, so I could tag the truck and trailer.

I now find that I can't do that as I'm not a GA resident and don't have a social security number.

It's very confusing because if you ask 3 people you get 3 different answers and we can't find a solid solution.

One thing some people do is put their rig in the name of family members. My sister didn't want to do that in case we got in an accident and her already high insurance went up. Fair enough.

So we're in desperate need of advice from any other non-US RVers about how they got around the tagging problem. We have 3 weeks before we're in big trouble.
26 REPLIES 26

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Having a current and valid drivers license from any country in the Common Wealth of the United Kingdom, AKA England permits that person with said document to drive a recreational vehicle in all of the lower 49 States and Alaska, all of the Canadian Provinces, and all of the States in Mexico and guess what all of Central America and all of South America as well as the rest of the world.

When the RV was registered, an address was given as the mailing address, if that address is of the family or friends, they act as a Post Office, I have done this for friends visiting from Sweden and Germany, they purchased VW campers to travel in the U.S.A. and Mexico, they gave my address as the their address in the States and used their Swedish or German driver's licence to purchase insurance and purchase the vehicles.

Register the vehicle with the address of your family or friends, and go and enjoy your vacation, you do not need a driver's license from the U.S.A. to drive here if you are allowed to drive in the Uk. Just have insurance on the vehicle(s).

navegator

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt that UK registry is possible. That would require the importation of the vehicles into the UK, payment of duties, and modification of the vehicles to meet UK Ministry of Transport standards like different headlghts, turn signals, metric odometer, etc.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call the nearest UK Consulate office and ask them.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Register it in the UK. You are a UK citizen, so it's perfectly legitimate.

You still need insurance but that doesnt' sound like a problem. Likewise, your UK license should be fine (or get an international one which is really just a translation of what is on your license).

Seriously, we've looked into it going the opposite way and thats the simplest approach.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the vehicles are purchased in the U.S.A. your drivers license from the UK still allows you to drive your property, should you need to show it to a law officer, it is still with in the law, you are the owner, otherwise rental companies could not rent to foreigners visiting.

I have purchased vehicles in Europe with a US license, same thing applies here.

Do not sweat it, enjoy your stay, your UK license is good to go.

navegator

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I am by no means an expert. But it seems you purchased the truck and trailer in your name. No problem there it is your truck. The insurance company appears to be willing to insure the truck in your name. You have a valid drivers from the UK which I understand is valid for use during your visit in Nort America.
I do not see why a US license is necessary for your short stay. I see no difference than my US license being valid in Canada whilst on vacation. If you have doubts I would call the state highway patrol and ask. The Motor Vehicles issues license's they do not necessarily know the "laws on the roads".
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
If you would like to come to Ontario Canada........

Out of Country Permit
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

superfudge
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Chopper Hopper wrote:
What I would suggest then to simplify. Have your family member register in their name and you provide the insurance to cover vehicles.

I am not sure this will be acceptable to the relative. If there is an accident, and the vehicle is in her name, she can be sued and it will affect all of her insurance companies, not only the one that has the coverage on the truck and TT.

Yes, that's the issue Bobbo - that and some debts, she was also concerned that having assets that could be taken would affect me.

superfudge
Explorer
Explorer
DesertHawk wrote:
Check (or call Telephone Toll Free: 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO) New Mexico Motor Vehicle Dept. (NM DMV), also South Dakota MVD (Phone: (605) 773.3541 Email: motorv@state.sd.us SD MVD).

States are not all the same. NM has been giving driver's licenses to illegals, some have been trying to stop it, not sure if they have. Some other states have as well, can't remember which. I assume they were getting vehicles as well. Illegals Getting Driver's Licenses But this may not work for you, not working here, etc.

Ask the MVDs about not getting a DL, but getting Registered in their state with a UK DL. I know Canadian's buy vehicles, land & homes in the states.

Thank you - will ring them now. We are planning on going to NM so that would be great! 🙂

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
DesertHawk wrote:
Check (or call Telephone Toll Free: 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO) New Mexico Motor Vehicle Dept. (NM DMV), also South Dakota MVD (Phone: (605) 773.3541 Email: motorv@state.sd.us SD MVD).

States are not all the same. NM has been giving driver's licenses to illegals, some have been trying to stop it, not sure if they have. Some other states have as well, can't remember which. I assume they were getting vehicles as well. Illegals Getting Driver's Licenses But this may not work for you, not working here, etc.

Ask the MVDs about not getting a DL, but getting Registered in their state with a UK DL. I know Canadian's buy vehicles, land & homes in the states.

New Mexico's Law Description:
The law allows for an applicant to provide an individual tax identification number or other document designated by the department instead of a social security number "regardless of immigration status." Get in contact with NM MVD & see if they can help you.

NM only one to NOT have a residency requirement, it seems.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don,t see where you went to the DMV and asked the people who should help you figure this out? or I missed it.

superfudge
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I would try calling an RV rental place, like Cruise America. I see a lot of Europeans in their rigs. I know you don't plan on renting from them, but if you get a nice person they might just be willing to advise you on how things work.

Brilliant idea, thank you. Yes, they probably know a lot about foreign licenses and what foreigners can and can't do here.

superfudge
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
If you have a current UK drivers license and the vehicles are current in the UK, you have nothing to worry, you can drive all over the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico, there is a treaty that refers to reciprocity with other countries, Canadians and Mexicans can and do dive foreign registered vehicles in the States.

The so called international drivers license is not a real permit, it is a translation of a document, you still need the real drivers license issued by a government entity.

navegator

I bought the truck and trailer here in the US 😞

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I would try calling an RV rental place, like Cruise America. I see a lot of Europeans in their rigs. I know you don't plan on renting from them, but if you get a nice person they might just be willing to advise you on how things work.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.