cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freezing temps on Thursday

kandkbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice. I have de-winterized my trailer and I have used it on a couple of trips this spring. Naturally, the weather has decided to turn cold again. The overnight low on Thursday is forecast for 32 and 30 for the overnight low on Friday. Last time we camped I emptied the fresh water tank and opened the low point drains for the drive home. Am I in any danger of damaging my plumbing and what steps should I follow to minimize the risks of damage? Now I know the best thing would be to winterize it again, but I would really rather not do that. Thoughts?
26 REPLIES 26

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
So freezing causes delamination?????

If the OP wishes to be careful he can leave the thermostat set to the lowest possible temperature.

Realistically even an RV that is not designed for cold weather use is fairly safe at 25 f (-4 c), so long that is a low temperature for the day and day time temperatures are well above freezing.

troubledwaters wrote:
Yes, you risk damaging the water lines. The risk is directly proportional to how cold it gets for how long. Even 30° for one hour can freeze those tiny lines. Will that damage them? Who knows. How about providing some supplemental heat, or blowing out the lines but no antifreeze? Or just wing it. The risk is pretty low, but the other side of the coin is it could result in hidden damage that causes big problems like delamination down the road. No easy answer. Easy for me to say take a chance cause it ain't mine to pay to fix down the road. So do you feel lucky today?
Yes, frozen water lines can cause hidden damage that can lead to delamination. I'm surprised you of all people didn't know that. Or maybe you was just reading out of context?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your plumbing is enclosed within the RV (i.e. it's a reasonably cold-weather capable model), you will have no problems. The interior will not get below freezing in these conditions unless you do something really crazy like leaving all the windows wide open.

If you have pipes hanging down unprotected, there's perhaps a slight chance of problems. I personally would not worry about it too much. It does make sense in any case to not invite problems by, for example, leaving it hooked up to (unlimited) city water with the tap open; but with the tank drained and the pump off and not much water available, any potential damage is pretty limited to just the plumbing fittings themselves, and a bit of care in setting up next time should allow them to be verified fairly well.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
So freezing causes delamination?????

If the OP wishes to be careful he can leave the thermostat set to the lowest possible temperature.

Realistically even an RV that is not designed for cold weather use is fairly safe at 25 f (-4 c), so long that is a low temperature for the day and day time temperatures are well above freezing.

troubledwaters wrote:
Yes, you risk damaging the water lines. The risk is directly proportional to how cold it gets for how long. Even 30° for one hour can freeze those tiny lines. Will that damage them? Who knows. How about providing some supplemental heat, or blowing out the lines but no antifreeze? Or just wing it. The risk is pretty low, but the other side of the coin is it could result in hidden damage that causes big problems like delamination down the road. No easy answer. Easy for me to say take a chance cause it ain't mine to pay to fix down the road. So do you feel lucky today?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

Really??

Seem it takes at least a couple hours to make small ice cubes when the freezer is a zero or even -10 degree F.

Part depends on daytime temps, if daytime gets to high 40's or low 50's shouldn't be an issues even down to about 28 degrees. If you look at hourly temps likely only below freezing for about 2 to 4 hours, the trailer is a heat sink, and will hold the daytime heat.
Reading comprehension 101.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
30 degrees for a 2-3 hours is not going to hurt you. Lines probably will not even freeze. Certainly not a hard damaging freeze.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you have outlined the scenario I say you are OK. We camp plenty in those temps, even into the teens overnight, as long as it gets above 45 or so during the day we haven't experienced any issues and we don't have a heated underbelly. On the other hand, takes just a few minutes to pump in some antifreeze. Your call, your peace of mind.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I know water freezes at 32 but your lines will be fine ,it takes a bit colder (mid 20's)and a strong wind to swell/burst the lines.The water is not pure and residual ground heat will keep them from freezing at at all.

the temps will only be below freezing for a few hours I bet.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:

:h

Really??

Seem it takes at least a couple hours to make small ice cubes when the freezer is a zero or even -10 degree F.

Part depends on daytime temps, if daytime gets to high 40's or low 50's shouldn't be an issues even down to about 28 degrees. If you look at hourly temps likely only below freezing for about 2 to 4 hours, the trailer is a heat sink, and will hold the daytime heat.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
heat
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
KandK,

If you can put any heat on inside the coach, it should be just fine. If you can't, opening the ALL the taps and the low points is a good start.
Anything built after the early 80's has all plastic lines. They can freeze and not be harmed, but the metal parts are all at risk.

Heat is cheapest and fastest.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the faucets and low point drains all open you should be fine at those temps.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III