cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fridge Frosting up on the metal fins inside

SultanGris
Explorer
Explorer
fridge Frosting up on the metal fins inside, its been on for about 3 weeks or more, is this normal? How can I keep it from doing it, or can you?
19 REPLIES 19

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:
steelpony5555 wrote:
Get one of these frig fan It not only keeps the frost away but helps circulate the cold air all thru the frig.
X-2
I have a fan on the fins also. It keeps the area were the fan is mounted frost free but the other end still ices up.

fifthwheeltrave
Explorer
Explorer
We spent some of the hottest summer months in Florida, with not so much as a trace of ice ..

We always disliked the process of defrosting etc... It made it seem that we were living in a cheap camper.... Now that we put in our refrigerator fan, we don't even think about our refrigerator.

Don't give up, you don't have to just "put up" with it!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The amount of humidity, open dishes of food and how much you open the door all have something to do with the fins frosting up. Especially if it's really warm out. Hot humid air flowing into the cold frig every time you open the door -- creates condensation that then freezes on the colder fins.

fifthwheeltrave
Explorer
Explorer
fifthwheeltraveler wrote:
We had the same problem when we began full-timing... Our food was luke warm, and took forever to cool down...

We bought one of these from a gentleman in one of the campgrounds we stayed in... Best money we ever spent...

Good luck, I feel your pain...

I think the thing we enjoy about our device is that we never have to fool with it. We tried the one from ebay, and it lasted about 2 months before the fans quit. Not to mention we were always bumping our food into it...

We never tried the D-cell battery device because the batteries are so gosh darn expensive...

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
steelpony5555 wrote:
Get one of these frig fan It not only keeps the frost away but helps circulate the cold air all thru the frig.
X-2
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just use two of the cheap fans which last a couple months on a pair of D cell batteries. No installing anything, just place fans in, and forget about it. Of course, they move very little air compared to the above solutions, but it is enough to keep the fridge cold and freezer free of frost.

fifthwheeltrave
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem when we began full-timing... Our food was luke warm, and took forever to cool down...

We bought one of these from a gentleman in one of the campgrounds we stayed in... Best money we ever spent...

Good luck, I feel your pain...

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Our Norcold goes through some kind of "cycle" every couple of days to eliminate any icing of fins.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

SultanGris
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Turn the temp up one notch. Worked for me. Fridge is cold and freezer is even colder than before. Go figure.

When I said turn it up, that means temp up or warmer.
Jerry

Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr_MrsSchlepprock250 wrote:
Our fridge used to do that. We bought one of the very small fans that run off of two "D" batteries and it hasn't done it since. It also helps the fridge stay cooler too by keeping the air circulated.
X2
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Get one of these frig fan It not only keeps the frost away but helps circulate the cold air all thru the frig. I would check your door seals and make sure it's not leaking somewhere. Just look for broken areas and then use a dollar bill, close the frig on it and see if you can pull it out. If the seal don't hold on to the dollar it may need replaced......
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Normal, these fridges are not frost free. ๐Ÿ™‚ A 12 volt computer fan blowing on the fins greatly reduces this. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Turn the temp up one notch. Worked for me. Fridge is cold and freezer is even colder than before. Go figure.

When I said turn it up, that means temp up or warmer.
Jerry
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr_MrsSchlepprock250 wrote:
Our fridge used to do that. We bought one of the very small fans that run off of two "D" batteries and it hasn't done it since. It also helps the fridge stay cooler too by keeping the air circulated.
This is correct - however, it can work too good! If using one of these fans, don't set the fridge to cold, otherwise your veggies will freeze.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS