cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Moran Wyoming to eventually Montana

cinron2010
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks it's me again wondering what the best way would be to get to Montana from Moran Wyoming pulling a heavy Holiday Rambler 5th wheel 34ft with a 2007 GMC 2500 Diesel. I am thinking we should take 26 through Jackson to Alpine and stay on 26 to Idaho Falls. Then take 15 up to Montana. I don't want to go over and down steep grades if at all possible. What do you guys think? Last time I asked a question you guys were fantastic help!! Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
BIG Thumb.....WEST Thumb....

Oh well, you get the idea.

Sorry, too many place names, too little memory.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ivylog - the Old Faithful parking lot is a great place to stop. We've done that, where DH stays with the dogs in the RV while I go and shop for souvenirs, then we eat when I get back.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go from south to west entrances often. I usually stop at old faithful and have lunch waiting for it to blow. Traffic is not bad until after old faith... not that many pull outs before. The only good pull is from West Thumb to the Continental divide... not that steep. No way would I go that far south to go north, especially from Moran.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go through the park. We came South from W Yellowstone to Green River (WY) through the park in June and it was fine. The Bison were out near Big Thumb.

From Norris you could go North to Mammoth and out via Roosevelt Arch to Gardiner if you are headed toward Glacier.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with kknowlton's suggested route. We also have a heavy fifth wheel of 35' and have driven both routes, with the route through the park being shorter. With the speed limit and likely traffic, it'll take you a little longer, but take the time to enjoy the drive.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could go through Yellowstone - in South Entrance, out West Entrance. The distance would likely be shorter (depending where in Montana you want to go) but the time would probably be similar to taking 26. No steep grades on 26 to Idaho Falls and if you head north on I-15 from there, you have Monida Pass on the border between ID & MT, which is a long shallow climb, and another gradual descent on the north side - no biggie at all. Some construction on I-15 between Idaho Falls and the MT border, by the way.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Jackson to Alpine Junction is mainly downhill, following the Snake River through a canyon. No steep grades. Been awhile since we drove 26 to Idaho Falls, but don't recall any significant grades on that road either.

Don't be tempted by the shorter route over the Teton Pass west of Jackson. 10% grades plus sharp curves. IMO no fun at all.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂