Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fuel pump for auxiliary fuel tank

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I just had a 63 gallon RDS auxiliary fuel installed in the bed of my 2012 F350. After instalation was completed I asked how many Gallons Per Hr this Posi-Flo pump would put out. I was told it was 7 gallons per hr. Is this pumping capacity high enough? It seems to me the flow rate is not high enough and Im concerned It will be overworked and burnout!
Thanks, Lee
8 REPLIES 8

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
schl44 wrote:
Hi,
I just had a 63 gallon RDS auxiliary fuel installed in the bed of my 2012 F350. After instalation was completed I asked how many Gallons Per Hr this Posi-Flo pump would put out. I was told it was 7 gallons per hr. Is this pumping capacity high enough? It seems to me the flow rate is not high enough and Im concerned It will be overworked and burnout!
Thanks, Lee

Here is what I did. I put a 37 gallon RDS diesel tank in front of my tailgate in late 2006. I installed their set up in my filler neck so it could gravity flow to fill the main tank. But since it was made to be over the main tank not in front of the tail gate. Flow was slow. It could keep up without pulling the fifth wheel. But with the Fifth wheel and 8.8 mpg, it could not keep up. So I installed a electric fuel pump in between. When my gauge moved down , I flipped a toggle switch and filled the tank back up. Her is the kicker. I bought a small fuel pump from auto zone to install and bought a spare. I have used these types of pumps since the 70s and have never had a problem with them. Exactly 9 months later on a trip it did not work . So at the RV park I installed my spare. Even though I have not had a problem before ,does not mean one can't go bad. Then exactly 9 months later it went bad. I had bought another spare when we got back home 9 months ago when the other one went out. I put the spare on but found out what the problem was. The package had Made In China on it. I went on the internet and found a pump Made In The USA on it. Same bolt holes and line fittings. A exact bolt in install. I did not wait till the made in china pump failed 9 months later. I installed that made in USA pump in the spring on 2008. It is still on the truck working fine. The pump is a FacetยฎCUBEยฎSolid State Fuel Pumps . They have 3 different square models.Depending on the gph you need Can pump up to 50gph.The website to look at and read the pdf file on them is: http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

schl44
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the 7 GPH pump with a 35 GPH. Fills my factory tank very quickly. I like it. Heading for the Big Horns in Wyoming on Sunday! Thank you to all that replied to my post!

Lee

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an RDS tank and use the gravity flow system in my 2013 F350. FWIW, I usually get around 11 mpg and the gravity flow always keeps up. So just start your pump when your tank gets down to the half tank mark. Stopping for lunch, rest breaks, etc will allow it to catch up.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 70 gph pump on my setup
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on needing a timer and if you start transferring fuel at half a tank, what's the problem with 7/hr? Not going to hurt the pump if it runs for 6-8 hours or all day.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide on a high output transfer pump a timer in the power circuit "might" be a smart idea. If you forget it is on you could easily overfill your tank and pump fuel onto the road. I know I would :}

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if my simple math is correct.

If you're going 60 MPH, a mile a minute, and getting 10 MPG. Every 10 minutes you will burn 1 gallon or 6 gallons per hour, which is close to the capacity of th pump.

If you get 5 MPG you will burn 12 gallons per hour, which is way over the pump capacity.

Somewhere between 5 and 10 MPG will probably be at or over the pump capacity.

Someone please corect me if I'm wrong. :h

I think you need a bigger pump.

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
7 gallons an hour seem low, but I guess you'd have to look at how much fuel you burn per hour while towing. I got this one below from O'Reilly's, and has been working well for me. It claims 35 gallons/hour.

Mr. Gasket Diesel Pump
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.