cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Grills?

bazaarsoft
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for suggestions on grills: what does everyone do? We're thinking of getting a propane grill that we can hook to the outside gas connection. If that's what everyone does, which grills are best? Any that have problems?
2011 Nissan Armada, 5.6L V8
2012 Dutchman 296FKS
42 REPLIES 42

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
nohurry wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

That setup works fine if you have an external tank to connect to, then you're good to go. If you carry an extra 20 gal tank (or smaller) for bbq, it's fine.

Won't work with the quick disconnect fitting on trailers.

Yes, it will Ron. You have to take the regulator off the Q and get the adaptor, and hose. The RV tanks are already regulated, and can't run two regulators. The only down side of this is that if you use it elsewhere, you can't use the small portable tanks, you would have to have a re-fillable tank W/regulator, at home for instance. Not really a big deal.

I wanted to take my converted Q-120 off-site on a picnic one time, but, couldn't because there wasn't a regulator... Light bulb came on:

Take the regulator you took off (I had a bunch of regulators laying around) and put the female quick connect on it. Viola, a regulator that removes for use with the 5er's quick connect, and a regulator that I can use for both 1 lb. disposable bottles, and one that I can use with a 20 lb. tank on my deck for parties when I need to augment the big grill. The other regulator (1 lb.) is for my Campfire-in-a-Can for using it away from the 5er.

I thought about that issue too, but I generally use my Q only for camping with the trailer. I keep the regulator handy so if I ever wanted to use it conventionally, I can remove the fitting and put the regulator back on in about 60 seconds. Very good idea you came up with though.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
nohurry wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

That setup works fine if you have an external tank to connect to, then you're good to go. If you carry an extra 20 gal tank (or smaller) for bbq, it's fine.

Yes, it will Ron. You have to take the regulator off the Q and get the adaptor, and hose. The RV tanks are already regulated, and can't run two regulators. The only down side of this is that if you use it elsewhere, you can't use the small portable tanks, you would have to have a re-fillable tank W/regulator, at home for instance. Not really a big deal.

I wanted to take my converted Q-120 off-site on a picnic one time, but, couldn't because there wasn't a regulator... Light bulb came on:

Take the regulator you took off (I had a bunch of regulators laying around) and put the female quick connect on it. Viola, a regulator that removes for use with the 5er's quick connect, and a regulator that I can use for both 1 lb. disposable bottles, and one that I can use with a 20 lb. tank on my deck for parties when I need to augment the big grill. The other regulator (1 lb.) is for my Campfire-in-a-Can for using it away from the 5er.

I thought about that issue too, but I generally use my Q only for camping with the trailer. I keep the regulator handy so if I ever wanted to use it conventionally, I can remove the fitting and put the regulator back on in about 60 seconds.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Nice +1

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a gas grill last year and after a few uses gave it up. We didn't care for the "flavor" of the meat, or it's odd consistency. The grill was also a bear to clean after each use. The one time DH forgot to clean it after some chops were grilled, it smelled like week old roadkill....
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Yes, I agree with you if you get the adapter for the hose. That's exactly what I did with the parts I listed. My hose however is quick connect on the bbq end too.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the grill we take along now. I got tired of spending an hour cooking on a table top grill.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
Tachdriver wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
I have had the Weber Q for years now...and it seems to be the messiest and hardest grill to keep clean

I wonder what model because my Q100 is easy to clean, the grates come off for brushing, the interior is easy access to wipe down and there is a drip hole in which allows the liquids to go to a pan in which is cleanable.

:h

X2 - in my opinion, this is the easiest grill to clean. I brush off and oil the grate, then clean off the gook into the tray hole with a 1" putty knife. Takes about 3 minutes.

X3, I've found my Q200 very easy to clean. Everything falls down to the bottom and grease flows into the little removable pan underneath.

I've found the grates simple to wire brush off after getting them hot.

But it depends on what you consider "cleaning" the bbq. I guess some want their bbq spotless. I don't. I rarely "clean" mine other than emptying the lower pan and brushing off the grates. As to being "greasy", if you cook with greasy food, they all get greasy and the grease has to go somewhere!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
I have had the Weber Q for years now...and it seems to be the messiest and hardest grill to keep clean

I wonder what model because my Q100 is easy to clean, the grates come off for brushing, the interior is easy access to wipe down and there is a drip hole in which allows the liquids to go to a pan in which is cleanable.

X2 - in my opinion, this is the easiest grill to clean. I brush off and oil the grate, then clean off the gook into the tray hole with a 1" putty knife. Takes about 3 minutes.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:

Most grill you don't "have" to wipe down..These you do other wise you will have grease EVERYWHERE..I hate the grates...they trap a lot of grease....just a pain in the @ss in general. My tote bag for the grill is nothing but a greasy mess
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Weber 100. I bought it for the following reasons:

-Cast Aluminum, wont rust out. This has the been the problem with most portable and some house grills I have owned over my life.
-Cast Iron grates. Transfers the heat nicely, easy to clean with a wire brush. Wipe with a paper towel with a little oil on it to store for long periods.
-Replacement parts are easy to find at most big box stores (Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart)
-Very easy to clean. Has a curved bottom so all the food particles and grease tend to run/slide towards the grease tray. Let it cool, quick wipe out and I'm good to go. Cleaning easily is a real problem for many other grills because of their design. Something to check out prior to buying one.

The mention of it not getting hot enough. One of the reasons I love it is we cook chicken and pork on it more often than steaks and it does go very low for slow cooking. Pork Tenderloins can be put on it and left alone except for basting and not over cook them. Many of my previous portables were hard to regulate the lower temps on.

If I want to cook beef at a hotter temp, I just crank it to the light position and let it preheat the cast iron about 10 mins and then leave it on Light instead of high. We are a medium to medium rare family and it does a nice job for our steaks.

Hope this helps you find the right grill for you.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.