cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has this ever happened to you?

Meffrig
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago I took a family trip and was towing my car behind my Class C motorhome. I made a wrong turn in a subdivision when taking a relative home, and knowing that you cannot back up while towing, I tried to make a loop and turn on the dead end street. My tow vehicle was somewhat cockeyed before I realized I couldn't make the turn. I was thinking no problem, I will just get out and unhook the tow. After about 30 minutes of beating those hook up pins out with a hammer in the 90 degree heat, I finally got the tow vehicle loose and was able to re hook and be on my way. I pretty much felt like an idiot and am sure those in the homes on the dead end street would feel the same way. I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Meffrig
2014 THOR WINDSPORT 34 J
24 REPLIES 24

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Went to a state park in New Mexico. Road up a hill and narrow. Got to top and there was a locked gate at park. No turn around space. They closed it but didn't update their web site or put sign at bottom of hill. Had to unhook car then work motorhome for along time to get it turned around.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
No!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
more times than we like to admit to. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't you release the tow bar latches with the parking brake on and take the pressure off the pins. Or put the toad in gear and pull forward or back a hair to free the pins up?

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled into a wrong driveway with the 5th wheel. It was a mobile home park, not a campground-directions on the cg website were wrong. Roads were NARROW. Literally got stuck trying to negotiate a corner. Had to wait for a Stanley Steamer guy to finish cleaning a rug to move his van and then after about 30 minutes of back and forth hubby go clear. This was with a large audience which had gathered. They did, however, cheer hubby when he got lose! Also had to unhook the toad once from the Endura. Got detoured and police made us unhitch to cross a temporary bridge.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the had to unhook the dingy club. It's like the I dropped my 5er on the truck bed. There are those of us who have done it and those that will!!!

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that. I believe that is why they invented the hammer. Let it happen one time and you will go out of your way to prevent it in the future
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
me? no, not yet, but I have wondered about it

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a story, but fortunately with an easier outcome.

I stopped for gas in Shiprock, AZ. The access to the gas station was limited, and I was towing my Jeep. I was able to get in and realized that I would need to leave in a different direction than I wanted to go.

To make matters worse, the gas nozzle became wedged in the inlet (A Winnebago problem with the access door). The spiral metal wire surrounding the nozzle prevented the nozzle from being removed. I tried to pull it out with no success, and got the attendant to help with no luck. Three Navajo men came to help and we were all prying with screwdrivers, without success. I finally told everyone to back up, and I pulled really hard on the nozzle, straightening the wire, and the nozzle finally came out. The Navajo men said that they usually charged $5 for their screwdrivers, the attendant said no you don't and they left. I had spent a year as a community organizer on an Indian Reservation is SD, and knew the game, and was able to humor them out of the awkward situation.

So I leave the gas station and see on my GPS that there is a route to get me back to the NB highway that I want. I turn off the highway NB on a paved road looking for the next right turn, and as I begin to turn, the road is blocked with construction. So I continue NB and the road turns from payment to gravel to rutted dirt, with no cross roads (~1.5 miles). I'm driving through rustic Navajo hogans, and finally see a circular driveway at the end of the rutted road ahead. I'm maneuvering through someone's front yard with rusted cars, old washing machines, and abandoned toys as I try to carefully avoid the obstacles, and I can't help thinking that I can't make the turns without hitting something in the front yard of one of the Navajo men who had the screwdriver. It's 90F+ and I certainly don't want to remove the Jeep to escape.

I was able to finally get NB without unhooking or without anyone needing to leave their front porches to "help".

Being able to tell the story is part of the adventure.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L