cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi

mfredm
Explorer
Explorer
My name is fred. thought id join the forum and start my new rv life. i'm 2 weeks from selling my house, throwing away all my stuff and going out and buying an RV. kinda scary, but I've always been a risk taker. I'm thinking going down to florida and getting a pace arrow, newmar, or winnebago, around 15 years old(thats my budget). but i also heard good things about the consignment lots in texas. Thoughts?
21 REPLIES 21

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome Fred! I suggest you spend a little time looking through this forum and other forums as well so you walk in with a good knowledge base to make your purchase. I would strongly encourage you to have a pressurized leak test before you buy anything of that vintage. They can show you any current leaks in the trailer. That will give you an idea of where to look for damage.

RV's are great, but water is their worst enemy. A little roof leak can lead to rotten wood in the roof, walls and eventually floors, and a nightmare to fix. Further, water will lead to mold and mildew. Be prepared to walk away if you suspect water damage.

When you think about full timing, think about things that are important to YOU. For some people that is a big bathroom, for others its a big bedroom, for others its a big kitchen. Its rare to find a camper with EVERYTHING you want, especially in an older rig. Consider where you will be going and what you plan to do with it.

For example, if you are going to the American Southwest, you might spend a considerable amount of time outdoors because it rarely rains. If you are going to the Southeast, maybe you want more "living space" inside because you'll be escaping heat and humidity. Take that into consideration when deciding what features you want.

I wish you the best of luck. My wife and I are looking forward to the day we can retire and travel with abandon!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
A unit that lived in Florida for 15 yrs might have salt damage if it spent much time by the ocean.

Not to mention having the caulk get eaten alive by the relentless sun....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be buying anything from Florida or Texas after the hurricane flooding they had last year.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd suggest you rent and see how you enjoy this life first.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
A unit that lived in Florida for 15 yrs might have salt damage if it spent much time by the ocean.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
What's your budget? Perhaps we can help you zero in on a good manufacturer. You mentioned Newmar... that a very good one and in a different league than Pace Arrow. Winnebago is another good one as are Country Coach and Travel Supreme - for starters.

If you're talking at PPL Consignment in Texas, I would recommend them for looking. However, for a 15-year unit you'll have to do a LOT of thorough inspecting - mainly for leaks. If you see any discoloration at the ceiling/walls step away. Leaks are difficult to trace and in an older RV you might have some rotting going on. Remember that Texas has had hurricanes and lots of rain so be wary with leak signs. On the other hand, if you find one without leak signs having gone through the storms, that's an excellent sign! 🙂 Good luck.

You might also go over to the Fulltiming section and gather some information on the lifestyle and where to set up your domicile. It's a great lifestyle!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Do a LOT of reading and research before buying any RV. Ask lots of questions.
Learn how to find evidence of leaks, a small leak can do a lot of damage if not repaired quickly.

Tires are a big issue with RV's. Many replace their tires every 5-10 years. RV tires usually age out before they wear out. Don't just look at the tread to determine tire condition. Check the actual tire age.

Condition is the important factor when buying a used RV. Don't be in a hurry, take your time, look at everything. Make sure the floor plan works for you.
You will find the right RV. 🙂