cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How fast do the gray and black tanks fill

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going camping for a week, renting a TT. The site we've got doesn't have full hookups, so we're planning on using the tanks. (Specs below)
My question is: How fast will the Gray and Black tanks fill up. I know this is subjective. But with 2 adults, maybe a shower every other day. Assume 'normal' toilet usage. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Would we last the week? Or would we need to file and/or drain mid-week? I have a potable water jug to refill the fresh water, but would want to get a Gray/Black water tank if we'll need to dump.

PS. Sorry if I missed a post on this. Tried searching, but didn't find anything.

Apex Nano BHS
Fresh: 50 gal
Gray: 35 Gal
Black: 35 Gal
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
23 REPLIES 23

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It will vary a lot.

2 showers/day plus dishes when on full hookup, we can easily fill the gray in a day.

If we are away from sewer, we can get 3-4 days on the gray without trying very hard.

If we are really careful a week is possible though usually, we would just use the bath house (or shower every other day).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hot water uses more water to flush the cold water. We've used coffee pot hot water for dishes and "sponge baths" for long stays.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on camping scenario, at least the black tank should go a week with just two users. If you are a seasoned RVer that actually does some RVing without hookups you could go 3-4 days (more for those who skip daily showers) on your 35gal grey tank, FW tank might be enough, again it depends on your knowledge of conservation when camping in a TT.

There is a learning curve for sure if you are new to the lifestyle, no biggie as it takes but a trip or two to figure out tank and battery capabilities. Speaking of batteries, hopefully you have at least some power hookups to restore consumed amphours, if not solar and/or genny will be needed since most battery banks will not last a week.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
With moderate care and conservation and two people, I'd expect you should pretty easily get half the stay, perhaps a bit more. That's with taking navy showers and using real dishes, but being a bit careful not to waste water with either one and not letting the water run while brushing teeth, etc. The gray will fill up faster than the black, and with those tank sizes I'd guess the gray will be getting full about when the fresh water tank is getting towards empty.

Are you renting the trailer in-situ, or will you be pulling it? If the latter, you can simply pull it through the dump/refill station at the campground midweek; no need to buy a tote just for the trip.

If you take

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the campground facilities for showering and your fresh water for dish washing a couple of times a day then your grey tank should be OK for the week.

Black tank should be ok, but toilet flushes will use a good bit of fresh water, so you might use the campground toilet to conserve your fresh water.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should always be using your tanks...with or without hookups. Keep the valves closed. Dump black when at least half full and use gray to flush the hose. With those size waste tanks, four days with conservative use.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
The grey will fill up in one day, with a shower each. The black? Don't worry about it. You can make the 50 gallons last 2-3 days, if you conserve.

NOT for us. we have 2 35 gallon grey tanks on our trailer. DW and I can EASILY go 10 days on that, and even with our daughter, hubby and 2 grandkids we go a week with the two 35 gallon grey and 35 gallon black and they still aren't completely full. We do need to fill the 40 gallon fresh a few times,

We can shower on 1 gallon of water easily. When camping we find no reason to shower every day, a spit bath is fine and a quick shower every other day is more than adequate.

And use paper plates for most meals, only need to wash dishes once/day

It all boils down to how well you can conserve water useage.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Navy shower each will last 3-4 days. Don't let sinks run. Use paper plates and disposable cups. Fresh should last week. Black should last most of week.
If you let sink run while washing hands or like normal shower it will only last 1 day.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The grey will fill up in one day, with a shower each. The black? Don't worry about it. You can make the 50 gallons last 2-3 days, if you conserve.