cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought my 1st RV today excited but nervous

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I bought my 1st RV today after years of dreaming about it I actually did it. But now I'm second guessing the decision on the RV I purchased. I bought from a dealer a Class A 2010 Winnebago Vista 26P. I love the floor plan and it is very clean. I pick it up in a week. I'm second guessing my decision because the miles are high 63k and the generator is at 900 hours. I put my deposit down today and am still deciding if I should pay the remaining balance in cash or credit. Any suggestions there would help me a bunch. I'm excited but a bit anxious at the same time. I'm excited to hit the road and finally travel a bit but am wondering with a generator with that many hours and a coach with that many miles even if it was meticulously maintained, am I looking at a money pit in a few thousand miles? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.
42 REPLIES 42

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
How did your son deal with noise in the rentals? It would be a great way to see places with your son. Hope you can make it work but don't short change yourself with money for future repairs. You really should build up an account just for the future. Perhaps you'll get lucky and will just need maintenance. Best of luck to you!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever made a large purchase in my 50 years that I didn't second guess for the next several nights. Only you can decide if it's affordable for you. But, it sounds like you know what you are doing and what you want. Lot's of campgrounds have a "no pet" section, even most of our state parks (NY) have no pet sections, so they are available for your son. IMO, it's better to own than to keep renting, but whatever you decide Good Luck ! and enjoy

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Ah ok thanks Mike makes sense.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
summerbreeze wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I think you picked a good company, good unit, good size but wondering if you got a good price? We have achieved debt free and there is never a question of whether to pay cash or delay payment with a loan. I guess maybe you are wanting to see if you like it before paying the whole balance which I can kind of understand. The only downside I can think of is that some don't like the way short Class A's drive and handle. None will feel like a car.

thanks for the reply, when you say you think I picked a good company are you refferring to this rvnet? I never mentioned the company I bought the RV from.

I think he is referring to the rv. Winnebago
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I think you picked a good company, good unit, good size but wondering if you got a good price? We have achieved debt free and there is never a question of whether to pay cash or delay payment with a loan. I guess maybe you are wanting to see if you like it before paying the whole balance which I can kind of understand. The only downside I can think of is that some don't like the way short Class A's drive and handle. None will feel like a car.

thanks for the reply, when you say you think I picked a good company are you refferring to this rvnet? I never mentioned the company I bought the RV from.

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all of the replies and am feeling a bit more relaxed today. I called the dealership and luckily they are being very understanding and told me they would reverse my deposit immediately. I felt at ease and asked if I can have until Wednesday and if they would still reverse my deposit and I was told yes. I have been camping for years. I love the outdoors, prefer nature more then being inside. I have been renting rv's both 25ft and 30ft and know the basics as far as hooking up, dumping, and basic operating of rv BUT I certainly have ALOT to learn. I think it just hit me like a ton of bricks that I actually purchased it and it's a lot of money to spend on something that will depreciate so much but on the other hand life is meant to be enjoyed. I know there is a very good chance there will be repair that will feel very stressful and be expensive. I am low income and alot of what I inherited was put into this purchase but it has been a dream for so long and I'm a single woman who wants to meet new friends who enjoy the outdoors and camping too. I think a big part of my worry is my 19 year old son who has Asperger's just isn't excited at all because he has noise sensitivity. He wears the big ear muffs to block out loud noises like barking dogs and when you camp there are dogs everywhere. He is with me most of the time and I really want him to enjoy it so maybe I can find some places where we aren't always in a camping spot but can boondock. I do not have solar panel so not sure if I can do that (again something I need to learn). I do have a couple days to take my time to secure storage, get insurance rates and more. The RV I purchased is a 2010 Winnebago Vista 26p. Opinions on the Rig? Very clean mileage 63k, Onan 4,000 with 900hours. Paid 43k. Includes tax and license. Connecting with you guys here with the experience is really helping me. I welcome all comments, suggestions..please.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
USAFBILL wrote:
My understanding that some States have laws that you can back out of a contract purchase within so many days ( like 3 ) and get your deposit back., Good Luck

Very few if any have this law. Usually a buyer is only allowed to rescind a contract if the purchase was made at their residence. The law was made to protect homeowners from unscrupulous door to door salesfolks. I don't know of any state where it applies to a purchase made at a dealership or RV lot.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many states including WA allow a buyer to change their mind within a few days, especially if you have not yet taken delivery. Good luck whatever you decide.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Low income but can pay cash? And you are also comfortable financing it? A little confusing to me.
But overall it sounds more like cold feet than a real mistake. The mileage and generator hours are not worthy of canceling your dreams.
Only you can decide this. We don't really know enough. I would go for it though. If you hate it you'll know soon enough and can re-sell the unit w/o taking a major financial beating since it is already used.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding that some States have laws that you can back out of a contract purchase within so many days ( like 3 ) and get your deposit back., Good Luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
summerbreeze wrote:
I'm excited to hit the road and finally travel a bit but am wondering with a generator with that many hours and a coach with that many miles even if it was meticulously maintained, am I looking at a money pit in a few thousand miles? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but any recreational vehicle, be it a MH, TT, 5th, whatever, is a potential money pit. :E Regardless of what you buy you can be guaranteed that the actual purchase price won't be the end of it, just the beginning. The reality is you need to be prepared to spend even more to keep whatever you buy operating - sometimes you're lucky and it won't be too bad but if not it can get really expensive really quickly. Reality is RVing is anything but cheap. 😞

You nailed it.

RV ownership is like boat ownership except a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into while an RV is just a rotting hole to pour money into....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased 3 tents, 1 pop-up and three different travel trailers over the last 30 years. Every purchase was overwhelming after I thought about it. When I REALLY think about it, IT'S STILL OVERWHELMING! When driving down the road with a $60,000 truck and a $35,000 trailer, the thought of $95,000 (plus financed interest) makes me think... "What in the world am I doing!" One sudden move and this entire rig worth $95,000 (plus interest), could be a twisted total loss. It makes me drive a little slower!

Overwhelmed feeling never goes away when you really stop and think about the cost.

Not giving you any suggestions what to do, or how to do it, just saying, you are experiencing a universal feelings right now!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have to wonder how much actual research the OP did before buying. Dreaming and research are two entirely different things. IF you signed a contract, not a buyer's order, then you are legally obligated depending on the verbiage in the contract and state law. Most contracts are heavily weighted in the dealer's advantage and few states allow a buyer to withdraw from a contract except under certain conditions and dealers know them well.

With the little information provided, I think the OP should beg the dealer to cancel the purchase and offer them to keep the deposit. The OP should do extensive research, rent a RV, and thoroughly consider his/her income before making suck a big purchase.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
go to the dealer and tell them the truth, you just can,t afford a rv. be up front.