cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

led light change over

thoms
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. thinking of putting leds in my tt, but don't know much about them. have flat blade bulbs in now but they are to bright, how do you go to a dimmer bulb with leds. my fixtures will only light up both bulbs at the same time. Need a dimmer bulb. I see no wattage on the leds.How can I switch over not knowing how bright they are? Am I missing something with the LEDs?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Check out M4 products lots of good info for rv led applications
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of using paper to dim the bulbs you might try cutting some plastic from a milk carton.

If you have clear light covers you might be able to replace him with a frosted white cover that might give a dimming effect to the bulbs you have.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You should be aware that voltage regulated LED's can interfere with over the air TV reception. Bulbs that have a wide voltage specification are the regulated ones and those with a 12v specification are probably not regulated, and are usually cheaper. The regulated bulbs might have a longer life and not run hotter when the voltage is less than ideal. Since I value the TV working as it should, I bought unregulated plus extra bulbs in case of failure, but so far no failures.

Gaganpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Ebay - paid $8 for 6 bulbs - they work fine - give off brite white color compared to yellow bulb color. We don't live in 5th wheel but use it for short weekend outings. I don't know about the quality of the bulbs. That will take time and by the time I have a problem I will have forgotten where and who I got them from.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would buy a T5 9 led and 13 led 5050 on EBay for less than $1 each in warm white. Once you decide which you like then buy 10X. Two 15 led bulbs may be too bright.

Buy the first ones from a US reseller and then the 10x from China if not in a hurry.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure what a flat blade bulb is. In any case I have a recommendation. I initially replaced my automotive tungsten bulbs with equivalent LED bulbs. A couple of the fixtures were fluorescent so I had to replace the fixtures. Now I have found fixtures/lights that I like even better.

I bought a single and a double Gold Star fixture from Amazon. The double is really bright so I doubt I will ever use both at the same time. I liked the single and ordered a set of 3 more for a total of $15 delivered. I will warn you that the diffuser does not work perfectly and casts some small shadowy lines. Especially for the quality and price, I find that acceptable and not something I notice after the initial inspection.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you can do is go to a place like 1000 bulbs or an RV dealer.

What I have found buying LED's on the web.. Many claim to be the equal to the OEM incandescent lamps. SOME are. I have some that are COOL WHITE (I LIKE) some that are Warm White (you are more likely to like) Some that claim to be Cool White and are very cool (DIM and blue and basically useless)

Mine are a different base then yours so I do not have numbers

But look up the 921.. Buy one of the 921 equivlent but then buy some others in that class. Most of 'em have numbers in the same range (Buy LED qquivlents)

But buy like one of each of several. Find the one you like and go for ie

You can also shop RV stores. many carry ECO-Led's which are very good and very pricy Or Auto-Parts stores Many have a good assortment of LED's

if you happen past a CHROME SHOP (Bling for Semi's) may of 'em will have a display with assorted lights you can look at before you buy .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
You look for the lumens to judge the relative brightness of the bulb. You look at the color temperature or description for the appearance of the light, for example "warm white."
I used these for a light output similar to the incandescent bulbs. bulbs
X-2, go with Warm White rather than Bright White, I'm just the opposite, I want them as bright as I can get, so I go with the bright white.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You look for the lumens to judge the relative brightness of the bulb. You look at the color temperature or description for the appearance of the light, for example "warm white."
I used these for a light output similar to the incandescent bulbs. bulbs

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leds are measured in Lumens This will help you
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Tape a piece of white paper over the lens of the light. Then it can be removed if you need more light later. DO NOT do this with incandesent bulbs and they get too hot and will scorch the paper or even set it on fire. Leds (usually) run a lot cooler, but do check. If they stay cool, then the paper is no problem.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.