Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Negotiating Price on a New Trailer

Shani
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Thanks for everyone who has helped with my previous questions in finding a trailer.

We have finally narrowed the trailer that best suits are needs and we are able to safely tow with our vehicle. This will be our first trailer and have chosen the 2017 Sportsmen 242 SBH SS ๐Ÿ™‚ .

The dealer has it listed at $27,995 CND. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should going in with for an offer on it. I tried to find other dealers in my Alberta or Western Canada that sell this unit but not having much luck. Also, could not find the MSRP anywhere. I have seen other posts on this site referencing making offers of 20% - 40% lower then MSRP (but I cannot find that), also does being in Canada make a difference on the markups.

Thanks again for any feedback!
14 REPLIES 14

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
When I negotiated- I went to the online "wholesalers" and got a bare bones price (plus shipping/delivery to me). I then used that as a basis for discussing prices with local dealers. I assume the same could work for a Canadian.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I would get 2 dealers and have them compete against each other

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Tell them your budget is 20K and if they can't do it that you are going to some other dealers and that you will find one for 20K period! Give it a few days and see if they call you up.

A pipe dream here in Canada where the economics of the situation are entirely different than in the US, not to mention that the OP is nearly 2000 miles from the factory in Indiana ... trailer isn't going to get there on it's own. :R

We got ours with a MSRP of 27,000 for 20K even because we told them that was our top price... and left and went to 3 other dealers. Got a call next day that they could do it at 20K.

To repeat - a US experience that isn't in any way relevant here in Canada. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them your budget is 20K and if they can't do it that you are going to some other dealers and that you will find one for 20K period! Give it a few days and see if they call you up. We got ours with a MSRP of 27,000 for 20K even because we told them that was our top price... and left and went to 3 other dealers. Got a call next day that they could do it at 20K. Of course, it was a new 2014 in Nov of 2014 so they were willing to bargain and it was a slow period for sales. Right now is the peak! So look for a leftover 2015 new...
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say you will be lucky if you get $1500 off or $1000 and they throw in a hitch.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Shani wrote:
I am thinking to offer around the $21K mark and see where it goes from there.

JMO, but I suspect you'll be sorely disappointed when you realize your offer @ $21K won't be anywhere near close to what the dealer would be willing to accept for a trailer with an advertised list price of $28K. As I said, forget US pricing, forget the ever popular "30% discount" our US friends talk about so frequently, and remember that Shipshewana to Alberta is a heck of a l-o-n-g and expensive distance to drag a trailer from factory to dealer. Good luck with it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Shani
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the all feedback and info.

SoundGuy, appreciate the link and info for a Canadian sale for this model. I agree, pricing seems very different between US and Canada even after the dollar conversion.

This give me at least something to go by for negotiation. I am thinking to offer around the $21K mark and see where it goes from there.

Planning a trip down to the dealer next weekend :).

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anytime I'm interested in a particular RV I google the year, brand, and model to get a range of current pricing which can differ broadly. RvTrader.com is another good place to check the RV you are interested in, easy to see the low end and high end for most rigs. Enjoy your new RV!!!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure how much additional markup is typical for Canada, if it has to be brought in from US or not. Hopefully someone from Canada can comment since there's probably some amount of delivery charge, tax, import or whatever that might be included in that price.

After I found out more about what is typically experienced in Canada, I'd figure out the target price and drop below that to start.

EDIT: Looks like someone from Canada chimed in same time. As I suspected, probably not a good comparison with US prices.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DanNJanice wrote:
I ran a google search and found a 2016 listed on RV Trader for an MSRP of 22,600USD. The sale price was 14,900USD and the trailer was listed as new. True, it is last years model, but that gives you an idea what the markup is.

US pricing is irrelevant here in Canada. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I purchased our own KZ Spree back in 2007 from Niagara Trailers here in S Ontario which currently has a 2016 KZ Sportsmen S242SBHSS listed for $23,900 Cdn plus all the usual costs of course. One can always negotiate additional items such as weight distribution, battery or batteries, perhaps a power vent fan, etc, to help ease the pain but the actual selling price won't be much lower, certainly not anywhere near the 30% our US friends so often brag about. Further west where you are the advertised price you mentioned doesn't surprise me at all as the dealer has to factor in substantial freights costs to get that trailer from Indiana to Alberta which is almost 4x further than to here in S Ontario.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
DanNJanice wrote:
I ran a google search and found a 2016 listed on RV Trader for an MSRP of 22,600USD. The sale price was 14,900USD and the trailer was listed as new. True, it is last years model, but that gives you an idea what the markup is.

Linky
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Shani
Explorer
Explorer
Not very good :), and it doesn't help not having much to go on (MSRP, other dealer prices).

I usually don't go back and forth much, I'll offer a bit lower than what my max is and go from there (usually I base that off other prices or MSRP). There are no dealers in my town so I was going to make the trip out there and offer the price, I figure being there with the money would provide more leverage than over the phone deal.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Just negotiate the price down until it won't go down any farther. How are your negotiating skills?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE