cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVing, concerned with safe traveling

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I are new to the RV world. I used to camp in a waxed canvas tent throughout my childhood and then in the newer lightweight tents as an adult. Now that Im married with two small boys (4 year olds) we thin kthat it might be fun to own an RV and take off on weekends, school holidays and summers to go see America.

We've attended a few Rv shows and really like the Winnebago Ind. Sunstar 32k or 35b bunkhouse MH's. My main concern is safety. Are motorhomes safe to travel with such small children? I know they would love to be in the bunks while traveling, and I know that is NOT the safest way for them to travel in the MH while in motion. For the boys to be in car seats latched into a couch seatbelt seems like traveling would not be much better than in our 2011 Ford Explorer.

I guess I'm looking for comments from other parents, grandparents, and the community on how best to:
1. Choose a well constructed "safe" coach.

2. Travel safely with 2 small boys.

I welcome everyones opinions and comments as it would ease both our minds.
Thanks a bunch.
46 REPLIES 46

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Given that most RVs aren't built as well as a vehicle I'd err on the side of caution and ensure everyone was seat belted in the car/truck/whatever.
This wasn't a concern when my kiddos were growing up(they grew up in a part of the nation where owning a car was a liability more than an advantage) but is for my granddaughter. So she straps herself into her back row child car seat, draws, plays old fashioned road games and reads.

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
JWoodie youre probably right that's the safest approach to life... but I was inquiring about safe travel in a motorhome.

jwoodie
Explorer
Explorer
What are the actual per mile statistics on passenger injuries for motorhomes vs. cars? It seems to me that the "safest" approach is to stay home.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting story... Today the law says you bring a child seat to the hospital to take your newborn home.. However at the hospital where my daughter was born, over 30 years ago, I was the first parent to do that... (Ok so I'm a retired police dispatcher and really do not like typing that message that starts out "RE: Fatal Traffic Accident", which I have typed too many times in my life)

Well, we never went anywhere with her that she was not properly bucked in.

ONCE,, Got distracted (Happens to all of us) and forgot to buckle her belt.

She set up a wail before I could move the car more than 3 feet (like 30 to get to the street) and of course.. She wanted to be properly buckled.

She was not yet talking,, but she knew the belt needed buckling.

Thats one smart girl.. Today.. She is expecting my first Grandchild.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kcny
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part, my brother-in-law let's his 4 and 6 year old roam around.

My 4 and 6 year old stay buckled in front facing car seats, strapped next to each other on the couch (so they are riding down the road sideways). I turn on the inverter and let them watch a DVD. 1/2 the time they fall asleep, especially on the way home from a trip

...to each his own
32' 1992 Holiday Rambler 1000

Snobrdr314
Explorer
Explorer
No judgements here, just trying to find out what really happens on the road. Thanks for commenting.

tbob777
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess I'm out of the norm, and probably a bad mother. When we had our A, My girls 20-10 moved around willy nilly, napped in the master bed, and colored at the dinette. I did, in fact, make sandwiches while hubby is driving 😕 To each their own I guess.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
JBinOR wrote:
I think that Coachmen had more seat belts than most. .
But what were those seats constructed of, and how were they attached?
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
There isn't any argument, the safest RV going is one of monocoque or semi-monocoque construction, or a old Bluebird RV bus. Maybe we should incude a Prevost or other motorcoach conversions. But as far as any motorhome built on a truck chassis, all bets are off! They just don't make the safety grade.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to RV you will be the safest (in an accident) in a passenger vehicle towing something. Modern passenger vehicles have many saftey features and most don't exist on motorhomes.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
MH construction varies but have you seen the results of an accident? MHs and TTs pretty much disintegrate in a bad collision.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bsinmich wrote:
School buses are the safest vehicles on the road.

I'd take a strong objection to that statement. There's a Federal law in both the US and Canada that says the floor of a school bus (other than the mini's on cutaway vans) must be more than a certain height above the road.

That is because there is almost no structure integrity to withstand and side impact So they want to be sure most vehicles would go under the children, not into them.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I will take a second to throw in my two cents. In my opinion traveling in a motor home is different then a car. If I am trying to get across the country as quickly as I can I will take a car and run 75 MPH. An RV is a different experience. It costs more to operate at 7-10 MPG so why not enjoy what you are seeing. My point is that you will most likely be driving 55-65 MPH and will not be driving for extremely long periods of time. If you run off the road in a car or RV it will not be a good experience either way. If a pick up hits you in a Smart Car you will all most likely be hurt but in an RV you will not stand the same chance of injury as you will have more around you. Can you get hurt in an Rv yes but you can get hurt in any vehicle. Think of it; there are a lot of families out there doing it with no problems but it is each of our responsibilities to drive safely.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Much, much safer in a truck pulling a trailer. Motor homes are not held to the same standards as auto manufacturers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900