Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to the forums, saying hello

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
How's it going everyone? A lot of my friends have RVs, so i'm somewhat familiar with them, but I'm thinking about getting one of my own...

What pull behind would you suggest for a family of 4?

We're from KS, so any Midwest road trip suggestions would be great...please let me know!

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
First is to choose a size that you can safely tow behind your truck.

Secondly, don't go into debt. A new one depreciates fast. There are many excellent used ones out there. Take your time. Big and glitzy isn't necessarily the best one. Look carefully at how it's constructed. The door fit and drawers will be a good giveaway. If you see a lot of staples it's not going to hold up.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

firstime
Explorer
Explorer
hello everyone this is all new to me just bought a used toy hauler so I wanted to find a forum. looks like this it thanks.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at what your friends have, what you like and don't like about them (the RVs, not the friends). Visit dealers and look at RVs, and RV shows if the search goes into show season. What you are looking for is "how would we live in this?" Or "are we going to live in this or just sleep in it" because our family's first travel trailer, early 1960s, handled our whole family for sleeping only; living had to be outside.

You also probably have a budget to fit, and an idea for a tow vehicle the RV has to match. If you want more RV than you can tow, the budget has to include an adequate tow vehicle. My 2004 search, almost a year and a half, established that my wife wanted more room to live in than could be handled by our mid-size SUV (6000 pound max but more like 4500-5000 with family along), so enlarging the budget to include a larger tow vehicle opened the possibility of motorhomes as alternatives, and that turned out to be the less expensive solution and a better fit to how we wanted to use it (road trips).

When the family I grew up in got down to Mom, Dad and 3-4 kids, they got rid of the travel trailer we had used for road trips and got a tent camper for camping at the state parks and recreation areas for long weekends and 1-2 weeks at a time. My experience is while you can use almost any RV any way, motorhomes work best for road tripping, popups can be a lot of extra work putting them up and taking them down daily, so thus more suited to longer stays, while towables work about as well for either use.

I'm at the edge of the Flint Hills (only down here they are the Osage Hills) and most of my road trips have either been into cooler parts of the Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan) or west (Colorado, New Mexico, West Texas, Utah) in autumn when it is getting cool, or to Mississippi and Texas Gulf Coast in winter. Road trips were to places my wife and I were interested, mostly historical. Your road trips should be to places you and your family are interested in, not what interests someone else. But for ideas, you might look at regional travel books, what you might find in Missouri, Eastern Oklahoma, Eastern Nebraska, Western Iowa, Eastern Kansas. About a 200-300 mile radius from where you live for a day of travel each way, or if really road tripping, about 800-1000 miles if you have a week, 1500-2000 miles if you have two weeks. On the longer trips, I've always worked out loops within that travel radius, so we saw different things on the way back than we saw on the way out.

For weekends and a few days at a time, a lot of trips to nearby campgrounds (mostly Corps of Engineers) on the reservoirs in the Arkansas River basin. Most of these are in NE and North Central Oklahoma. In Kansas more of them are state parks, or city-county fishing lakes.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest browsing what's available, get a feel for the types of RV's and options you can expect. Then decide what's important to you. Some people just want a bedroom on wheels, kids can sleep in tents (more fun anyway) and some people want to bring all the comforts of home.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things I'd look for, walk around bed and bunk beds for the kids.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
what's your tow vehicle and budget

Yep, can't help with such little info.

Tow vehicle specs, ESPECIALLY payload capacity.
Have you looked at any to give us at least some likes and dislikes.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
what's your tow vehicle and budget
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum. Choosing the best rv for your family is like choosing a home. We cannot pick one for you. You need to go check them out and see what fits your family the best.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Most important thing is what can your vehicle tow safely.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum form Florida. RV choice is a very personal one. Look at many before making your decision. If you're coming to Florida I can help. No experience with the Midwest.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)