cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Site Terminology

daverhys
Explorer
Explorer
New to the RV and camping world and am a little confused on some campsite terms.
What does "Developed campsite" mean? I could guess but that would likely land e in trouble. Thanks for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
There is no standard definition other than some improvement was done to designate it a camp site.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
"Developed" generally means a site that is designated, with some sort of numbering system, usually in a group with other sites. Usually the site is cleared and graded with some gravel or pavement. There may be a tent pad, picnic table, or lantern post (or not).

The opposite of developed is dispersed, which means that there are no designated sites, no amenities, and no preparation of the site.

This is how I look at it too. I have even read a description of "semi-developed". I guess that would be a developed site - but not quite as much. ๐Ÿ™‚

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
In some states, there are developed and primitive sites. They are both located in campgrounds but developed sites have access to running water (bathrooms) and primitive sites don't (port-a-potties).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't think there is a formal definition as we've never heard of the term. More likely a marketing term so your guess is as good as ours.

That said designated spots possibly with the parking spot not just grass is a good guess.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Then of course there is the terminology of what will be at the campsite. Developed camping may be dry camping with no electric, water, etc. at your site, although there often is a water source somewhere and a sanitary dump station.

Full hookups means water, electric, and sewer (your very own capped hole in the ground at the site versus a dump station shared by all.) Electric comes in various amps or combos (15, 30, 50) so you need to know your requirements and carry adapters.

Just to keep things interesting, you could find full hookups anywhere - even at a state or provincial park - or completely dry camping, so you can never assume. Not unusual to find various options in the same campground, with price varying by what your site contains.

RVing in Canada has different terms like Fully Serviced, 2-way, etc.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Coolmom42 gave a good description. Also, a developed campground doesn't necessarily mean it will have hookups. Many national forest campgrounds are considered developed.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
"Developed" generally means a site that is designated, with some sort of numbering system, usually in a group with other sites. Usually the site is cleared and graded with some gravel or pavement. There may be a tent pad, picnic table, or lantern post (or not).

The opposite of developed is dispersed, which means that there are no designated sites, no amenities, and no preparation of the site.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board