cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer came off hitch!!

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
So I bought a new 2018 Jayco jay feather travel trailer 6 weeks ago and the trailer came off the hitch as I was driving! Luckily I was going slow up a hill and the trailer fell onto the safety chains, then bumper, and skidded to the ground! I had it towed to the storage facility with no major damage. This was our first time out with the new trailer but I've pulled a trailer for the past 4 years with no such problem at all hitcing hitching up. I lowered the jack over the ball,engaged the ball and TV hitch, slid over coupler locking device, then slid a pin through the coupler locking device to prevent it from moving. The only difference from any other trip was that I did not use weight distribution bars as we were camping locally. My weight numbers are almost the same as my previous trailer? I'm good with staying within ratings numbers.Any insight of what could have gone wrong? Just when I was getting comfortable with towing! Thanks all in advance!
37 REPLIES 37

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
I was saying that my current hitch ball size is 2 5/16, so maybe a coupler adjustment?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are 3 sizes. 1-7/8 inches, 2 inches and 2-5/16 inches. Travel trailers are usually 2-5/16.

Look at the coupler. It should be stamped on the top of the coupler. It will tell the manufacturer, model number, the size of the correct ball and weight rating of the coupler.

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
The ball is 2 5/16?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
It could also be that the coupler latch is not tight enough. You can adjust how tight the coupler jaw engages against the ball. There is a nut that tightens against a spring which pushes the jaw against the ball. If not tight enough when hitting a bump or pot hole, with enough upward force the coupler can be snatched right off the ball even with the coupler pin in place. It might not have been set tight enough at the factory. The dealer should have checked it when setting up the WDH when you bought it. Then you should have checked it before driving off the lot. If you installed it, you should have checked it.

This happened to a friend of mine. He borrowed my utility trailer to take his Harley to Florida when he took his wife to visit her mother and stepfather. He wanted to ride his Harley on the beach down there. He came over a hill in NC with no warning that there was a construction site starting. He hit a big bump and the rear of the trailer went about 30 degrees into the air. When it bounced on the tires it came off the ball. The tongue went under the back of the TV and rested on the safety chains and wiring harness while dragging on the pavement. He ground through the wires and almost through the chains before he finally got it stopped on the shoulder. No damage to the TV or Harley. After he got it rehitched he took it slow and easy to the nearest Walmart for a new chain and some butt connectors for the wiring. The coupler was tight enough for normal towing, but not for 1500 lbs of trailer and Harley going airborne.

When I bought my 28 ft TT new, it was the first time I ever used a WDH, since it was the largest trailer I ever owned.

I got it home and unhitched in the street so I could turn around and use the front hitch to push it in the yard, I found out the guy that set up the WDH forgot to tighten the nut on the ball for the hitch head. The only reason I made it home after 8 miles on the interstate and 4 miles on city streets was that the WDH spring bars kept enough downward force that the ball stayed in place. The nut must have been finger tight when I left the dealer. It was almost to the end of the threaded shank when I uncoupled at home

It was the guys fault for not tightening and torquing the nut, but I'm partly to blame. I should have checked the ball and everything else as he showed me how to hook everything up instead of just watching. I would have found the loose nut.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with above poster, ball was smaller than the coupler. Make sure the ball is 2-5/16 inch

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote for a two inch ball and a two and five sixteenths receiver. Please confirm.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had that happen but with a pop up camper. Upon further inspection, the locking couple needed adjusted. It felt like it locked in place but was loose. Following isntructions online (Youtube), we made an adjustment and it didn't happen again. Don't let this scare you. Be cautious and always use your weight distributing bars even if you are camping locally. You just never know.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My guesses are that you didn't have the coupler down on the ball, or you have a 2" ball and a 2-5/16" coupler.