cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change on the road

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II
While not a newb to RVing (many years), our upcoming trip will be our first of extended length.
Having been heavy equip mechanic for some years in the past, I do most of my own maintenance.
Now, I will be more than an oil change away from home and was wondering where others get their oil changed on the road.
With a class A, I'm guessing a truck shop of some sort.
Who do you look for? How does one go about finding reputable service on the road?

Not a beginner, but this might be considered a beginner question to those of you with experience.

Thanks in advance
53 REPLIES 53

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how far you are going but maybe change it before you go and wait till you get back. Even a gasser should be able to 6-7000 miles without a problem using good oil.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
Is your Class A gas or diesel? Highway driving a diesel can go a longe way between changes.

Unfortunately I am running gas.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
DH does our oil changes. It doesn't take long and he fills empty 5 gal oil containers with the used oil and then takes it to someplace nearby that accepts used oil ( use google to find out where). We do this in forest service parks, corp of engineer parks and some small private owned parks. Have not seen anything in the rules against it at the city or county parks we have stayed in either. We would never however attempt to change a transmission, an engine out or anything that took a long time.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
You can also ask around at the RV parks.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Top it off and continue on down the road. About anything can easily go 10,000+ miles these days.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young (and broke) I changed my oil "on the road" myself. I took my normal drain pan, an empty 5 quart oil jug, a 5 quart jug of fresh oil (that gave me TWO 5 quart jugs), oil filter, filter wrench wrench, funnel and lots of rags. This was in addition to my pretty complete tool kit.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is your Class A gas or diesel? Highway driving a diesel can go a longe way between changes.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Speedco is a option. Good idea to carry an extra oil, fuel and air filter.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most Flying Js and Pilots have maintenance shops. You can also use the Alltays app to find truck service centers.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox