cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One night stays and black/grey tanks

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon everyone. Next month we will be taking a couple weeks to go from central Texas to California. The primary intent is to do some quick sightseeing on our way to see the in-laws. As such we have several times where we will only be staying one night at a campground or RV park. I know you want enough "volume" in your black and grey tanks before you dump it, but with only one night we won't have that? I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.

Thoughts on what the best approach is?

Thank you.
38 REPLIES 38

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not concerned about the black nasty stuff, more the travel weight and if the tank can handle the weight bumping along the road...I have read some stories of dropping the black tank...

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:
I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.
So the problem is that you dont want gross black tank contents sloshing around and getting the top of the tank dirty? Which could lead to excessive smells?

Cant blame ya. At the same time dont let it drive you nuts. That's a lot of work to empty the black tank before you move the RV each time.

Just know there are thousands of people with nasty stuff sloshing around the black tank as they drive down the road. Keep your toilet bowl seal clean and you shouldnt have any problem with odors.

You have a black tank flush and I'm guessing those things shoot every direction and would clean the top of the tank?

My dump station has lost its abilities to take on volume. So I dump smaller amounts more often. With a clear adapter and a black tank flush you can see when the water is running clean. You dont need to have 10 gallons of pre water. Also dont want it dry. Black tank flush allows you to use less pre water if the situation requires it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m a dry camper/boondocker.and dump and fill at every opportunity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpy and I come from the same place on this one. Three days id you have tank capacity; two if small tanks. Always the last day before reaching home.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used to dump every third day when I got a FHU site. used the black tank sprayer to finish that tank.
bumpy

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We live in So. Calif(Orange County) and have traveled to McAllen, Tx. and back, quite a few times. Last day of travel we would definitely dump black tank and follow with gray tank. Usually in Az.-around Quartzsite, Az.-we would fill the fuel tank-Some Pilot and Loves gas stations have Dumps.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
A few ways to handle it.
1. Travel with it in there sloshing around and breaking it all up then dump at the next campsite. Downside: all the stuff will settle before you dump the next morning anyhow.
2. Hold the flush lever down and fill the bowl several times to get plenty of water in the tank and dump before you leave. Downside: It will take longer than the next option.
3. Hook up your black tank flush and let it run for 4-5 minutes before you dump. Rinse and repeat.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
oops
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
For one night stays where we're taking showers and doing dishes, I'll typically hook up the sewer hose and leave gray valves open. Unless the black is at least half full, it's just not worth the time and effort for me to dump and flush. It 'might' even help clean the sensors or break up TP by letting that stuff slosh around while going down the road.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch