cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One night stays and black/grey tanks

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon everyone. Next month we will be taking a couple weeks to go from central Texas to California. The primary intent is to do some quick sightseeing on our way to see the in-laws. As such we have several times where we will only be staying one night at a campground or RV park. I know you want enough "volume" in your black and grey tanks before you dump it, but with only one night we won't have that? I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.

Thoughts on what the best approach is?

Thank you.
38 REPLIES 38

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. And 2112 nailed it...I have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. I have some loaded weight to spare, but figure lighter is always better (except tongue weight). I will give it 2-3 days before dumping.

Thanks again.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dรฒnt dump if staying one night. Here isn't much in the tanks tomcause issue, especially the black tank.
I will dump on the second stop, which formus is usually more than a day.

So, one night......I wouldn't bother.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
Why not as you are getting ready to leave fill your tanks completely and then dump. Won't take that long to fill. You can put a hose in the toilet to fill the black tank faster.

not all areas of the country have enough water to waste like that.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad
Why not as you are getting ready to leave fill your tanks completely and then dump. Won't take that long to fill. You can put a hose in the toilet to fill the black tank faster.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Explorer II
Explorer II
According to a different thread, Raife stated he has a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
if you are concerned about weight, it would be nice to know if you are traveling with a nearly empty 40 foot motorhome or a nearly maxed out on weight travel trailer? or somewhere in between. more information would give you better answers. otherwise everyone assumes you have an rv like they have.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What sort of RV do you have?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Raife wrote:

Thoughts on what the best approach is?

Thank you.

Dump when it needs dumped and don't worry about hauling some water around.
Whatever concerns you have about packing a few hundred lbs of water with are likely unfounded. Enjoy the trip, not the dump stations.

If you cannot stand traveling with water in, just dump them regardless of how full they are. It's nice to have enough gray to dump to wash the Baby Ruths out of the hose from the black dump though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
And....you do not need any additives. Those tanks are just buckets with lids....not a septic system. If you smell odors, you have other problems.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Raife wrote:
I'm not concerned about the black nasty stuff, more the travel weight and if the tank can handle the weight bumping along the road...I have read some stories of dropping the black tank...

Dump every 2nd or 3rd night. If a few gallons causes the tank to fall off, you needed to replace it anyway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
One holds the black tank contents in their intestines longer than a couple days before dumping in the black tank. Sometimes it causes an odor while there.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldent get that full on one night , let it ride, dump on the second. Dont over think it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m of a whole different mindset regarding water use if Iโ€™m staying one night in a camp with a dump and fresh water than I am when I find a beautiful dry sight and want to stay awhile, and whenever possible I fill the black tank before dumping. Thatโ€™s โ€œclean enoughโ€ for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:
more the travel weight and if the tank can handle the weight bumping along the road.
What type of RV? For peace of mind you can crawl underneath and visually inspect the tank supports. Look for bending, loose nuts. I hold 200 gallons of fresh and fill that sucker to the brim before camping trips. No joke i was just under the trailer 30 mins ago inspecting my tank braces. Im sanitizing the tanks is why im under there. Pulling the drain to get the bleach water out.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Best approach?

Sometimes it is actually way easier to do something you are not inclined to do. Just run with the tank part full already. Couple times and you will get over it and not miss the daily dump one bit.

That or use the community bathhouse for your needs.