cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Break Near Indiana?

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought our trailer two years ago from a dealer 120 miles away. We plan to upgrade to a fifth wheel in about two years and I am wondering...

Because so many RVs are built in Indiana, would it be better to shop in Indiana for our next rig?

We plan to travel all over the states, so service at the dealer isn't very important to us. We can get big items fixed most anywhere. If the price is substantially less, I don't mind driving the 1200 miles to shop.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
10 REPLIES 10

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Please also see the PM I sent you. Was not able to post earlier.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for the great info. As stated, we expect to do a lot of traveling and work camping, so we won't be near our house very much. Perhaps we can negotiate a better deal closer to our home from a local dealer, but we will do our research when the time comes for us to move up to a luxury fiver.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find high-volume discount RV dealers in the Elkhart area who specialize in out of state business, different dealers for different brands. Not all are in Indiana, some are in southwestern Michigan. Similarly in northern Iowa for the brands built there, eastern Kansas for the brands built in that area. These I know about, but I would expect a similar situation for RVs built in Texas, California, and the Pacific Northwest (which includes Canadian exports).

Finding these dealers? Ask the sales department at each particular RV manufacturer. Jayco has told me where to look for models not in the showroom, Winnebago makes similar recommendations for a Forest City dealership.

So the idea, in principle, is buying close to the factory (it is not always in Indiana) saves transportation costs, and buying from a high volume discount dealer who turns over inventory quickly often gets you a better discount.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
ExploreUSA in Mesquite Texas was discussed in detail on a thread about our axle issues.

I've also bought from RV-Max in Sherman Texas and they have the same policy, service system.

I would buy from either again - but the buy decision always depends upon the right rig at the right price. RV-Max had no models that came close to the features of our current Flagstaff - at the time we purchased.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
We just got our TT back after 31 days in the shop for an Extended Warranty repair. Two days for initial check and determination of problem, three days for extend warranty company to approve replacement of both axles, three days shipping from the company to the dealer, one day to install the new axles.

The other 21 days were waiting for the axle company to come to a point in their manufacturing line where they were doing axles for our brand of trailer. They apparently do one brand one week, another brand the next week, etc. (Yes, I talked to the axle company - that is what they said - the delay was not a dealer BS story).

The point is that the dealer got the repair done very quickly once they got the parts. This is the dealer where we bought the TT. They have seven stores in Texas.

If you bought the TT/5er/TH from one of their stores, it goes to the front of the line for eval/ repair at any of their stores when you need service.

A yearly axle repack is done in one day.

A good dealer is worth quite a bit. But I wouldn't have bought from them if they were not very, very competitive on price. Yes, I checked with dealers in Indiana/ Ohio.

So you like your dealer but chose not to share the name.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our TT back after 31 days in the shop for an Extended Warranty repair. Two days for initial check and determination of problem, three days for extend warranty company to approve replacement of both axles, three days shipping from the company to the dealer, one day to install the new axles.

The other 21 days were waiting for the axle company to come to a point in their manufacturing line where they were doing axles for our brand of trailer. They apparently do one brand one week, another brand the next week, etc. (Yes, I talked to the axle company - that is what they said - the delay was not a dealer BS story).

The point is that the dealer got the repair done very quickly once they got the parts. This is the dealer where we bought the TT. They have seven stores in Texas.

If you bought the TT/5er/TH from one of their stores, it goes to the front of the line for eval/ repair at any of their stores when you need service.

A yearly axle repack is done in one day.

A good dealer is worth quite a bit. But I wouldn't have bought from them if they were not very, very competitive on price. Yes, I checked with dealers in Indiana/ Ohio.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This can be a double edged gotcha.

Yes, you can save money by picking up the RV at the factory, but then you don't have a local dealer with responsibility for warranty work. The value of that is another question.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to RV Wholesalers, also check out RV Direct and The RV Express. When I did my shopping around last summer, I get the best price from The RV Express, but my local dealer came close to it, and they also offered more for my trade-in.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Delivery fees are based on distance from the factory. So, right there you can save some money by picking up at or near the factory.

Check out RV Wholesalers in Ohio. A decade ago I nearly bought a Rockwood from them, but in the end I used their price to negotiate with the local dealer and he came within $350 (covering delivery cost) so I bought local after all.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we found that Midwest dealers were WAY cheaper than dealers in the West.

we drove 4000 miles RT, to save over $4000 on a $20k MSRP HTT.
even after trip costs.

if we buy something else, we'll be shopping Midwest Dealers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes