cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air conditioner capacitors

dodgeramman123
Explorer
Explorer
What size of resistor should I use, to discharge my capacitors?? I've read and googled and found all these different values --- 10k ohms, 20k ohms, 6k ohms and 2k ohms with 3-5w value. Also could I place two resistors of the same value to get the resistance I need in parallel? I know one must be careful, and that's why I thought I would get honest advise from here!

Thanks in advance,
15 REPLIES 15

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah.. It's not like you're sticking your fingers in there everyday. Unplug the coach, wait a few mins, short it out, and do whatever it was you were going to do. But it's likely you will never be back in there

(Edit iPhone spelling)
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
dodgeramman123 wrote:
When I got home I googled and researched, and found out, that often times, that's what goes first. When it comes to electricity, one must be cautious!! So, a 2k2 wire wound ceramic resistor should suffice!!

Thanks a bunch!!

With all due respect sir, apparently you have not comprehended the excellent advice you have gotten here. Use a screwdriver! Why would you want to go to the trouble of putting connectors on a resistor when a screwdriver works better?????????

dodgeramman123
Explorer
Explorer
When I got home I googled and researched, and found out, that often times, that's what goes first. When it comes to electricity, one must be cautious!! So, a 2k2 wire wound ceramic resistor should suffice!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Under the heading of Lessons Learned:
Use a test device to ensure that the power is disconnected.
=> This is real important if you are on a roof or a ladder.
The capacitors in a A/C should self discharge shortly after shutdown. => Notice I wrote "Should".
Discharge them in place with the SIDE of the screwdriver or pliers.
=> If you use the working end, they can burn the tool so it is useless in the future.

Didn't buy the picture, the T-shirt wore out long ago.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
dodgeramman123 wrote:
In order to check or replace one, the power should be shut off. So how long can a capacitor still be charged, while the power is off? Just need to know! Thanks!

The start capacitor in an RV AC unit will discharge to a safe value in just a few seconds after power is removed.

To be on the save side, use insulated long nose pliers to remove the wires and then use a screwdriver or the metal end of the pliers to ensure it is fully discharged.

And I'm curious how you know it's the capacitor when you seem to know so little about capacitors.

dodgeramman123
Explorer
Explorer
In order to check or replace one, the power should be shut off. So how long can a capacitor still be charged, while the power is off? Just need to know! Thanks!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
A old screwdriver also works well, just be sure to remove the power 1st. As far as blowing a capacitor, sometimes they fail in that fashion.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your purpose is to discharge a cap for safe handling then ANy resistor will do the job.. The smaller ones will do it faster... Don't worry about the resistance. Current = Voltage/Resistance Voltage is 1.414X line voltage or 1.414 times 120 or just under 200,, So 1 1K resister will have about 200mA current a 10K 20mA peak.. NOTE. .Odds are you won't be dealing with peak.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
In that application it just isn't that critical.
A screwdriver, pliers, chicken bone form last nights BBQ. Well ok, maybe not the bone but you get the idea.
Only if it's still moist...

BTW- A 1 Ohm screwdriver has to be close to 15' long ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
dodgeramman123 wrote:
What size of resistor should I use, to discharge my capacitors?? I've read and googled and found all these different values --- 10k ohms, 20k ohms, 6k ohms and 2k ohms with 3-5w value. Also could I place two resistors of the same value to get the resistance I need in parallel? I know one must be careful, and that's why I thought I would get honest advise from here!

Thanks in advance,

Just have to ask why do you need to know .

Its what you do before you replace them. Otherwise you may be in quite a surprise. :E

dodgeramman123
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
dodgeramman123 wrote:

Thanks in advance,

I was camping during a heatwave, and it blew my compressor motor start capacitor. I want to make a capacitor discharge tool, to be on the safe side!!

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
dodgeramman123 wrote:

Thanks in advance,

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I use a screwdriver... that's close to 1 ohm.

+1

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
In that application it just isn't that critical.
A screwdriver, pliers, chicken bone form last nights BBQ. Well ok, maybe not the bone but you get the idea.