cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Wind Drag

Amazing1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to everyone. After several months of looking at very small travel trailers my wife and I have found two suitable models that would meet our travel needs. They are shaped quite differently so I have a question about the effect of height and wind drag that might effect our decision on which one to buy.

One is a retro type model that is 17' long and according to the manufacturer 97" high. The other one were considering is traditional in design, kind of box like, and thus measures 17' in length but is 117" high. Both trailers have approximately the same dry weight of 2300 pounds.

We're going to be towing with a Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 engine that says it will pull 5,000 lbs. Seems to me that the significantly lower model would make things much easier on my Jeep when all other things are equal. Plus, with less wind drag there might also be less chance of swaying, etc. Would love to hear what some of you experienced folks say about this. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stiff truck frame of the Toyota Tacoma trucks and the 4Runners SUV counterparts makes for a sturdy tow vehicle as well as a better offroad vehicle. I would not want to tow with a SUV based on a car platform the way the Highlander uses the same platform as the Camry.

campthewestcoas
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
scarpi wrote:
Back in the day when I used to tow a trailer with my GMC Yukon, we had what was called a HiLo trailer. It was a great idea since it was a hard sided trailer that was lower than the Yukon when down for towing and at the push of a button it would raise up to full trailer height when camped. It was 22 feet long and weighed about 6000 pounds and was easily towed by my 5.3L Yukon. Of course the Yukon had an 8000 pound tow rating. There were two companies that made this type of trailer, HiLo and I believe a company called Trailite or something. I don't know if they are still in business. I think they also made smaller lighter units.
Maybe you are thinking of TrailManor Check out the Tow Ratings menu link on this site. Here is a a video of one being set up
The Hi-lo company made the towlite and classic. The classics are a little heavier with more options. They range from 15ft. to 31ft. long They stopped production in 2011. If your looking at buying one, buy a 2001 or newer because thats when they went with alumium framing. I have a 2006 22ft. towlite that wieghs just under 4,000lbs. I'm towing it with a 2006 toyota tacoma V-6 w/tow package with a 6,500lb tow rating. It tows like a dream. This is my second Hi-Lo. Parts are easy to come by via the internet. I made many upgrades to the trailer to make it my own. They are still making trailmanor trailers, but they take three times longer to set up when you get to the campground.
Edit: Same one mentioned by eabc5454 above

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I believe that is the other company. My old HiLo raised with the touch of a button and this one raised mechanically. It is a good idea for someone towing with an SUV. It worked for me at the time. Hopefully the OP has gotten some more ideas from this thread.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
scarpi wrote:
Back in the day when I used to tow a trailer with my GMC Yukon, we had what was called a HiLo trailer. It was a great idea since it was a hard sided trailer that was lower than the Yukon when down for towing and at the push of a button it would raise up to full trailer height when camped. It was 22 feet long and weighed about 6000 pounds and was easily towed by my 5.3L Yukon. Of course the Yukon had an 8000 pound tow rating. There were two companies that made this type of trailer, HiLo and I believe a company called Trailite or something. I don't know if they are still in business. I think they also made smaller lighter units.
Maybe you are thinking of TrailManor Check out the Tow Ratings menu link on this site. Here is a a video of one being set up

Edit: Same one mentioned by eabc5454 above
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some real world experience on difference mileage due to wind drag and weight.

I have two trailers towed by the same truck, often over the same route. One is a 7x14 cargo trailer, about 6,000lbs loaded, less than 8' tall. The other is a 35' outback, about 9500 loaded about 10' tall . Both are tande axle, to tire drag is probably pretty similar. the outback has considerably more frontal area. over the same route, the difference is about 1mpg, 1.5mpg at the best in favor of the cargo trailer. Mileage varies with terrain and hills, but when the outback get 10.5, the cargo trailer will be in the high elevens, maybe 12 at best.

so, in reality, the difference in the trailers you are considering is much less than the difference between my cargo and big trailer. Mileage isn't going to be much different between the two.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
The other well-known high/low trailer is Trail Manor.

Please remember that there's more to towing a trailer than just weight. You have payload to consider as well, and you have to allow for hitch weight. If you've done your homework and feel confident that you know what you want, the difference in frontal area is small.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither that engine nor that transmission is designed for towing anything more than your boat to the launch ramp on Saturday morning and then home in the evening.

My DW drives an 07 GC and I won't even tow the landscape trailer with it.

You need a suitable tow vehicle first, then think about a trailer.

Not that it CAN'T be done, but not enjoyably.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the one that has the floor plan and quality that meets your needs. The mileage difference will be negligible, and the towing/sway is more dependent on hitch setup, and tongue weight. The difference in wind resistance between the two examples could be equalized by (I'm guessing here), slowing down by about 3-5 MPH.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
scarpi wrote:
http://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/midgettrailer.htm

For some reason I can't get links to post on this forum to click on.

it's quite easy. simply click on the button above the message box, that has the Earth with a chain link.

a URL box will pop up that you just type or paste the link into.
the lower box is optional if you want to name the link.

then just click Finished.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another idea for a small lightweight trailer. Called a Midget. 16 feet long and weighs only 1500 pounds. Looks interesting. I don't know how well it is made but apparently the company that made HiLo trailers now makes this. Here is the website....

http://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/midgettrailer.htm

For some reason I can't get links to post on this forum to click on.

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the owners manual, in the towing section there should be a paragraph concerning frontal area. IIRC my liberty manual had such a paragraph. With a small engine, short wheel base vehicle, trailer weight is only one of the factors that need to be accounted for.
Where you are towing is also a big consideration. 5000# may be ok on the plains or other level areas, but may totally overwhelm your vehicle on hills

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the trailer is 8' wide the 10" extra height figures out to an extra 96 square inches in frontal area. That will make a difference but in practice, you will never notice the difference because it will be so minor.

Maybe you should be looking at pop up campers?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY

Welcome to the forum Amazing1. There is a lot of information available, don't hesitate to ask.