Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular Microwaves vs RV Microwaves

tylerm96
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!

Bought an RV last month and now have to get a bunch of stuff including a decent microwave. I browsed some online stores like ***Link Removed*** and noticed that the prices on RV microwaves are on average 50-70 dollars higher compared to regular ones.

Are there any major differences or it is just a marketing trick?
I don't need anything fancy, just want it to work.

Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
None

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I’m seeing less and less of microwaves being vented to the outside. While ours has a fan, it sucks cooking fumes through a filter much the same way most home microwaves do with no venting to the outside.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the difference between an RV microwave like the Dometic CDMW12B and a Home Microwave like the LG CDMW12B (note they are the same model number)

The door on the Dometic says DOMETIC and the one on the LG says LG.
Now because of the way the dometic was originally mounted the installer did some sheet metal work to duct exhaust air but the microwave itself is identical to the Lucky Goldstar. and in case you are wondering I've never been lucky enough to have Goldstar products work (So the one that is now in my apartment kitchen is a CDMW12B/yxm the suffix means I re-designed part of it, did some machining and replaced one LG part with a GE part, now it works great).

But the reason for the ducting is originally the unit was installed in a closed cabinet the mounting flange had vents and they routed exhaust air into the flange... AMANA's vent to the front (At least the 2 I had did). so that would not be needed

if the compartment is open.. you don't need to do that (I eventually opened the compartment)

but the mirowave... Is identical save for the name Dometic on the door . Oh and the price tag.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not talked about much but most microwave manufacturers offer a 'built-in' kit to allow for flush mount installation in cabinetry.

The one in my S & B is this way, it also vents to the outside not back into the kitchen.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV microwaves are cheap junk, the one thing that may be different is that there may be venting for those mounted in a cabinet. If you buy one meant for home use, be sure that it will vent properly.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My RV microwave does have a venting system. Since the turntable has died, I will be replacing it with something from Walmart that most nearly fits the space. I may get a Panasonic because that make uses inverter technology so running at lower power doesn't "pulse" on and off, it actually consumes less power when set to 80% or 40%.

If I can't find one to fit--then I'll buy the cheapest one that does fit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.