cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How fast do the gray and black tanks fill

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going camping for a week, renting a TT. The site we've got doesn't have full hookups, so we're planning on using the tanks. (Specs below)
My question is: How fast will the Gray and Black tanks fill up. I know this is subjective. But with 2 adults, maybe a shower every other day. Assume 'normal' toilet usage. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Would we last the week? Or would we need to file and/or drain mid-week? I have a potable water jug to refill the fresh water, but would want to get a Gray/Black water tank if we'll need to dump.

PS. Sorry if I missed a post on this. Tried searching, but didn't find anything.

Apex Nano BHS
Fresh: 50 gal
Gray: 35 Gal
Black: 35 Gal
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
23 REPLIES 23

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input, much to think about.
I do have a 5 gal jug for fresh water. We wouldn't drink that, but we do have a water filter pitcher we would bring. And maybe some gallons of drinking water.
It's a rented trailer we will be towing there, so I could unhook and take it to the dump station. Might still get the water tote.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
"Depends on how often you shower and use the potty"

X2
Most accurate answer yet.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know how much water I would use... ๐Ÿ™‚ I have no idea how much water you will use.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd be close after a full week of ultra conserving.. I usually only go on long weekend trips, so I tend to use more as I know I have plenty, but when I go longer, I have to adjust dramatically!

Unless you already know how to 'conserve' water in a 'camping' environment, it's just going to be a learning experience for ya..

Worst case, you have to unplug and go to the dump station and dump and get some more fresh water..

Or, get one of those 'tote' things and haul it manually and get a 5 gallon can and fill as needed..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that you will have electric, and if so, there is an excellent chance water is available, just no sewer or drain connection.
If this is the case, plan on doing as much as possible outside. A 5 gallon water jug on the picnic table for drinking and tooth brushing. Wash dishes there too.
Learn to conserve water on the shower, and you will be fine.
how to take a navy shower

toilet consumption is about a quart per usage overall, so you have about 120 flushes with that tank.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
"Depends on how often you shower and use the potty"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on several things. Black tank? how big and how much do you flush every flush (Usually about a gallon) so it's capacity/flushes

Gray gets shower, sink washing machine, lav's.

Now some rigs have like 10 gallon tanks (Trailers) some 30-40-50 Many motor homes At least one it's well over 100 gallons or so I'm told.

So this is all important.

Mine were 36 gallons and with my wife 1/2 week me alone 2-4 weeks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I have a potable water jug to refill the fresh water

I wouldn't drink the water from a rental RV's freshwater tank, as you don't know how often they sanitize it, or how safe the water is that the last guy refilled it with. I regularly sanitize my own tank and while I'll brush my teeth with that water, I still drink from a separate water jug(s) I fill from home.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
The tank capacities listed in the OP are close to the ones in my RV. As others have said, there is a lot of factors that figure in as to when the tanks will be full. We are experts at taking navy showers. We also almost never do dishes, preferring to use paper plates and such. We can usually get about 4-5 days before having to dump our gray and black tanks.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Just because the site doesn't have full hookups doesn't mean there is no water or sewer facility.
We very often walked to a nearby spigot for dishwashing water, and we would use the toilets there if they were acceptable.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
We carry 5 gal jugs of water for cooking and drinking and that helps. As others have stated, use less water, take less and shorter showers. DW hates this, she loves a long shower. I Cringe the entire time she is in there when we don't have full hookups. I explain the issue - she doesn't care. Apparently it's my issue. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is absolutely no way to tell how much water you will need. Habits are the big factor. At home I leave the faucet running while I wash my face and brush my teeth. Habits like that will run through the fresh water tank and overflow the gray water tank quickly.

When I camp and water is not available. I get by on about 3 gallons per day. Roughly 1 gallon for drinking, 1 gallon for dish washing and cooking, and the remaining gallon for a shower. I don't fall short but there is no wasted water in the processes.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I can go a week on the black tank, 5 days is the best so far on gray. We wash dishes outside in 2 tubs one to wash one to rinse and throw the water into the shrubs. ( I know the horror) Navy showers, never letting the water run while shaving or brushing teeth.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Comfortably (as water usage varies wildly based on.....use), 2 people, one week, navy shower every day and conserving water while doing dishes, you're up for at least 1 dump and refill of fresh and gray water.
Black tank will make it if you forego the preferred method of using "plenty of water" to wash down every #2 deposited.
Note when black tanks get full or near full, they generally start stinking if you drive any real distance (ie sloshing around for extended periods of time).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold