cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental/RoadTrip Question

jdlowndes
Explorer
Explorer
I want to take my family on a road trip out west (from Alabama) on Route 66,and through Yellowstone, while traveling/staying in an RV. However, we don't own an RV or Travel Trailer and would need to rent one. I don't want to spend a small fortune to Cruise America for mileage (.35 per mile). I am looking for input from others on:

What rental company?
Is this even possible?
Has anyone done this type trip before?

Thanks in advance!!
19 REPLIES 19

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
You can also check some local dealers. The first time we went we rented a 34' class A from a local dealer that only rented a few RVs instead of that being their main source of income.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
This is the first post I've seen where someone actually made money on an RV! Most say it a hobby that costs a lot.

I don't want to set unrealistic expectations for the OP.

Do your research, and possibly get a buyer before you leave.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Wow, had no idea they were that expensive!
I plugged in Alabama for 2 weeks for a 25' rv and 3000 mi is over $2500 before insurance and all the extras.
If you can weasel out of sales tax on private party deals, maybe just buy a RV for the trip.
Quick CL search by me shows a bunch of nice condition low mile Cs for $10-15k and even the $10 k ones were really nice.
If you know what you're looking for, strike a deal on one. If you don't have the cash, you could probably turn it back around and sell it before you make the second payment.
Should be easy enough to find one that you can sell for what you bought it for or close to it.
That's what I did with my last camper and actually made about 3 grand on the deal, but I took it to AK for 2 years and then sold it up there before moving back. Wouldn't expect to turn much profit though in the same market you bought it in, but a couple weeks use and a couple thousand miles doesn't deprecate the RV. Plus you stand a good chance of scoring one all ready to go, fully stocked. That's how I bought and sold ours, pretty much ready to camp. I think that swayed the buyers (wife), since all it needed was food in the fridge and a tank of water.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdlowndes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'll check them out. I'm a total Newby at this type stuff... I'm a usual Tent Camper, but too long of a trip for a tent... Lol!

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
El Monte RV also rents motorhomes form Class c up to Class A pushers