cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof cleaning

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
morning , question of the day ,,, vinnie our 36 ft winnie vista is just screaming let me out . okay its me but lets go with with it . after sitting for 4 months she has become quite dirty . its going to snow ,,, yay ,,,, again here on wed . then the weather is going to break ,,,supposedly,,, . we are leaving on april 27th for the full time life . everyone here has been so helpful with all our questions ,,, so thank you again . question of the day is , what do i wash the roof with . i should mention , i guess , its a one piece fiberglass roof . does anyone know of what i should and should not use on the roof . thank you

rickybobby
11 REPLIES 11

ripperoo
Explorer
Explorer
I also just use the same car wash soap used on rest of camper and truck. I caution you NOT to use dish soap such as Dawn. Though it is a great cleaner, it will remove the wax on the sides of the camper/RV as spills over.

If you are going to wax the whole unit anyways, then I guess it would be fine to use dish soap etc.
2012 Ford F250 Super Duty, SC 4x4 XLT, 6.2L, 3.73 gears
2011 Keystone Sprinter Select 29BH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
Spic & Span & soft brush combined with elbow exercise.

Lakeside

Ditto.. The brush I use is sold as a "Van Wash" brush, looks, at first, like a common "Flo-Through" car wash brush (Got it at an auto store in fact) but the handle telescopes into a full length mop handle. I do not use the flow through feature.

I start by tossing the garden hose over the roof,, Go up with a bucket with a box or bottle of Spic & Span inside, Oh. I usually toss the brush up too (or you can attach the brush to the hose and bring a common garden hand held sprayer end up with you).

Up on the roof I empth the bucket then add some Spic & Span configure hose with sprayer Add water to the bucket, and hook the sprayer on something to keep it from falling down,

Brush the roof (sweep it) to remove loose debris

Then dip brush in spic & span water and brush it down working the dirt loose.. Rinse with hose.

When done Wash sides (Including front side and back side)

When dry: Wax. (Sides only I do not want a nice slippery waxes roof that can make me go OH @@@@@! SPLAT on the ground)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Some manufacturers actually recommend Spic-n-Span for cleaning a rubber roof. Mine does.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

sswedeen
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the Full Timer Life, it sounds like fun. I too wish the snow would just leave. MN weather has been brutal this year. :E About the roof, I found a product several years ago called ProSol Bugs R Gone. Don't let the name fool you. I found it at a camping show. The sales men told me the product does way more than removing bugs. And he was right! First and foremost it removes the bugs fast, but secondly, I love how it cleans the roof and siding. He was also right when he said it will not remove wax or harm decals. I am sure there are great products you can find that will work for you, but I have one product I use for everything. It's a space saver!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also use the wash & wax that we use on the sides. DH said it cleaned tree gunk better and with less effort that the dawn dish soap did. We use Kit car wash & wax with carbana wax.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 1550 PSI power washer on my rubber roof with no problems.
It will get under the AC and vent covers a brush can't.
No soap or brush scrubbing needed.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Spic & Span & soft brush combined with elbow exercise.

Lakeside

westend
Explorer
Explorer
They make a variety of fiberglass cleaners for boats that would work well. I also think that Dawn, car wash soap, Spic and Span, and other surfactants would work about as well. If you have a household soap, I'd start with that and see if it works for you.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

epdmcoatings12
Explorer
Explorer
Roof cleaning is the process to remove dirt, algae and moss from roofs.Roof cleaning can extend the duration of a roof's ability to function. Algae and other types of build-up often form on parts of roofs that are shaded, and can reduce a roof's life expectancy. The presence of soot, dirt, or biomass can affect how much sunlight is absorbed by a roof and thus the amount of heat a building absorbs. Cleaning may be accomplished with a bleach or vinegar solution, various cleaning products or commercial cleaning services. The addition of zinc strips near the roof's peak may reduce the regrowth of algae and moss. more info click here : http://www.pondpro2000.com/epdm-pond-liner.html

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We just auto car wash soap (with wax). And a long handled car wash brush, same as for the sides.

Beverley & Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I use dawn dish washing liquid and my RV brush with long retractable handle.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"