cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

setting trailer brakes

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hey everyone. just curious. when you are dialing in your trailer brakes how do you go about doing this. was playing with it in the local mall parking lot last night. I had the controller set so you felt the trailer brakes when you hit the brakes in the tv then I dialed them back 1 unit at a time until the trailer didn't feel like it was stopping me instead the other way around. seems good now. just towing slow (idol speeds) you can hear/feel the traile brakes early and I think that's because I am not using enough brake force in the tv. if u brake a bit harder the tv brakes first. any suggestions for a new guys like me?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
10 REPLIES 10

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bipeflier wrote:
Why not just follow the manufacturer's directions?

Since I didn't know any better, that's exactly what I did, and dang if the brakes are a seamless integration to the vehicle. Haven't had any panic stops, but on every other situation they work fantastic.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have learned from pulling utility trailers, construction trailers, boat trailers, and now fivers.

I start by using a gravel road and going about 10mph. I lock the trailer brakes and if they all lock up at that speed I back off until I find the lowest setting that they will still lock up at.

Once out on the road, especially with a fiver, you won't have a lot of chucking when stopping if they are set right.

I also may dial down a half a number in heavy rain conditions.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Biker1mike wrote:
Just my opinion after reading the web link page.

Do as the directions say.
Then pull the unit out and get a proportional unit. Will make a big difference in your tow.

Agree, lose the time based "controller" as they cannot be adjusted to match your tow vehicle brakes.

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion after reading the web link page.

Do as the directions say.
Then pull the unit out and get a proportional unit. Will make a big difference in your tow.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just follow the manufacturer's directions?
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The braking system should feel seamless, once it's dialed in. There's little need to start from a locked-wheel situation.

My method: With a Prodigy P2 controller, it will display the voltage to the trailer (notes it is working). I pull the trailer at around 20 mph and apply the manual slider to engage the trailer's brake system. If it slows the combination to a gradual stop, that is the starting point. I can then increase or decrease the trailer force by adjusting the trailer's brakes, depending on the towing situation (Interstate, city traffic, hills, etc.). I've found that once I have a sweet spot, I don't fiddle with it at all.

BTW, my trailer brakes have been rewired with a parallel wire to each axle end and brakes adjusted for proper contact.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/brake-force-trade-time-based-led-4-brake-controller/A-p8023523e this is my controller

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There are different ways to set it because there are different kinds of controllers. What kind do you have?

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
chances are you know more than me. im sure the regulars will chime in soon

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the proper technique was to find the setting where the trailer will skid when braking hard at 10-15 mph and then back it off.

I'm newbie so I'm just throwing this out there.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali