cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer hose rules

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question. Heading to a couple of RV Parks that are new to me and reading their rules about sewer connections.

Once campground says: "Use of rubber donut or watertight collar on all sewer connections is required."

The other says: "Sewer drain hoses should have a doughnut seal or a sealing type fitting."

I have one of these elbow fittings at the end of my hose. Is this sufficient for what they are talking about?

32 REPLIES 32

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I carried a donut for nine years before I threw it out. Package unopened.
It is cheep. If the park insists, just buy one from them right there.

Me too.. never used mine.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
This is probably true at commercial CG's, but most Fed parks we've been to just have a straight pipe hole at the dump station, I have just what the OP has & never been questioned, even when they said a doughnut was required.
At a private CG in NY, rules stated a doughnut was required, I told the owner that I didn't have one, when I showed him what I had, (exactly what OP has) he said that was fine.

Same experience here... out in the southwest. Out here those straight pipe holes usually have a heavy iron lid hinged cover that, if possible, I will place on top of or against the elbow to keep it secure. Often there is a rock there as well which can be placed on or up against that iron lid. Never have had an issue.

Mike

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
I have that same type fitting and is all I have ever used as it gives a good seal in most all sewer pipes. They do not want someone just hanging a loose sewer hose done the dump pipe with no seal.
This is probably true at commercial CG's, but most Fed parks we've been to just have a straight pipe hole at the dump station, I have just what the OP has & never been questioned, even when they said a doughnut was required.
At a private CG in NY, rules stated a doughnut was required, I told the owner that I didn't have one, when I showed him what I had, (exactly what OP has) he said that was fine.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
That threaded fitting you have will also fit in most non threaded pipes. I would just wait and see if it will fit or not. As mentioned, the park will sell them if you actually need one. I bought one at an RV park thinking I would need it for the non threaded pipe. I didn't.

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

OK. I think I'm going to go with this one. Thanks.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Those 'doughnut' type seals you have to make sure that it's in tight otherwise you're looking a some embarrassing moments when you go to empty your tanks. :E:S ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
I usually put my foot (in boot) on the elbow so it won't pop out with I empty my tanks.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, buy one just to be safe....but, most often campgrounds that require one will have them for sale at the office. Call them for details about what exactly is required.

Have a good trip.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
So you are saying I probably better just buy a donut to be safe then?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some campgrounds have threaded collars.. In that case go with what you have, THat orange copler is very nice

Some have just smooth pipe.. In that case you can slip the yummy sewer donut that someone else already posted over the threads.

Works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

buddybar
Explorer
Explorer
x96mnn wrote:

Some campgrounds when they mention rubber donut seal are speaking about the pic I have added.

What you have, like I is a Rynoflex sewer attachment that will screw into to most sewer connections. Many campgrounds do not have this option, instead they have a non threaded pipe coming out of the ground. Most of these campgrounds will list the rubber donut as a requirement, fits snug in the whole then your ryno adapter can be jammed down in it with little to no movement.

OK. That is what I'm asking. From what I posted, is the regular elbow sufficient, or do you think I need to buy a rubber donut.

And as far as keeping the sewer off the ground, I have one of the accordian style hose supports. I assume that would be enough for that.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is correct & this one, when there are unruly crowds.

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
In Oregon if you are at a park for one month or longer you by law have to have your hose off the ground in a platform of some kind.

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
buddybar wrote:
Quick question. Heading to a couple of RV Parks that are new to me and reading their rules about sewer connections.

Once campground says: "Use of rubber donut or watertight collar on all sewer connections is required."

The other says: "Sewer drain hoses should have a doughnut seal or a sealing type fitting."

I have one of these elbow fittings at the end of my hose. Is this sufficient for what they are talking about?

Some campgrounds when they mention rubber donut seal are speaking about the pic I have added.

What you have, like I is a Rynoflex sewer attachment that will screw into to most sewer connections. Many campgrounds do not have this option, instead they have a non threaded pipe coming out of the ground. Most of these campgrounds will list the rubber donut as a requirement, fits snug in the whole then your ryno adapter can be jammed down in it with little to no movement.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have come across a lot of sewer drains that are not threaded. This requires the use of a doughnut. Some CG's will even require that the sewer hose be elevated off the ground.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog