cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single person - How difficult to do everything by yourself?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all. I looked for a solo rv'ers section but didn't see one, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

I want to full time when I retire and have been researching RV's. I am single, so that brings me to my question:

What is going to be easiest as far a hooking up and setting up when it's only 1 person? I can't decide on whether to get a MH with a toad or a truck/TT or truck/5'ver combination. I would really prefer not to have to buy a big truck and use it as a daily driver once I get some where. But, just how easy or difficult is it for 1 person to do everything? I still have some time before I need to make a final decision. I am curious as to what other solo rv'ers have and why. Currently I am not planning on doing a lot of traveling but finding a spot and staying a month or two then going some where else and staying for a while.

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
/
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
or a MH with a Taco
What's that?

Motor home and a Taco = Tacoma or another compact pickup. and then you can still carry a scoot

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
A motor home is very easy, but the OP asked about a MH with a toad and that is somewhat more involved.

I missed that. My vote is a truck/tt combo then!
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
/
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
or a MH with a Taco
What's that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven a 36ft MH, towing a full sized F150 alone many times. I was better at parking, driving, hooking up than the ex DH was, even tho I had a broken arm still in a cast.

Hooking up the toad to the tow bar took less than 10 min, with 2 hands, it took even less time. The main thing is to be methodical about your set up/tear down, use check lists so your don't forget something. The main think is practice, practice, practice until you are comfortable with each step. You can do anything you want if you decide you can.

Best Wishe

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Personal suggestion either a TT and pickup, which can then carry a motorcycle or scooter in the back, or a MH with a Taco and scooter for a toad.
I understand wanting something easy to use to explore and wander and thats best done on TWO wheels, but I've been in rain, cold, snow, etc enough to like 4 wheels at times.
You arent considering what is likely to be your biggest challenge,,,,,,,,

keeping the passenger seat empty.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A motor home is very easy, but the OP asked about a MH with a toad and that is somewhat more involved.

I've only had trailers, but I camp alone and hooking/unhooking by myself is not difficult. If I had a big, heavy trailer I'd want an electric jack for sure. It's not complicated or overly strenuous, and a backup camera will make it easy to line up the ball with the socket.

You might want to research and look at some small molded-fiberglass trailers like Scamp, Casita, and Parkliner (all but the latter are sold factory direct). These small trailers would allow you to use a smaller vehicle like an SUV or minivan. I towed trailers of that size (and a little larger) for 140,000 miles with a 2008 Toyota Highlander, 3.5L V6; it rode like a car and handled wonderfully, yet it had a 5,000 lb. tow rating (with tow package).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of my camping is alone and it is no problem in my TT. Without a spotter I do get out and check often when backing up. No big deal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I camp in a motorhome. I love my fiancé but she does 0 work in setting up or taking down and I don't want her to. I prefer to do everything myself. Usually I can just roll up and level with the air bags (though a modern hydraulic system would be best). When dry camping there isn't much else to do. I can pull the awning out myself if I want to. If I have hookups there's another few minutes in hooking up the water, electric and stinky slinky. When I leave, reverse the procedure. My opinion is that if you're doing it by yourself, a motorhome is the easiest. And the smaller the better. I can set up and take down in 10 minutes or less (in a level spot a LOT less). I can't drive anywhere once I'm set up, but if you can live with that you're good in a motorhome.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
If camping close to home I prefer to go and set up by myself and have the DW join me latter in the day. That way I don't get all the HELPFUL suggestions and find it all less stressful. :B

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Been fulltiming alone with TT for several years now. Regardless of what rig you decide to get, unless you only use pull thru's you will need to get used to backing up. Sometimes I miss lining things up just right and have to do it again. Sometimes I am in and out of the truck several times. Sometimes I get it just right. It just takes a little practice and getting used to the routine. X2 on having a rearview camera.
Your question about doing EVERYTHING alone; well, it's just that. You are doing it all alone, so it will take longer to set up and break down. And no extra set of hands or eyes when needed.
Bottom line-it is certainly doable.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've seen singles - men and women - handling any kind of RV by themselves. However, I think a motorhome would be the easiest. We've with you that we enjoyed driving a small car for our siteseeing rather than a big truck like we did with a previous 5th wheel.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
A tow vehicle with a backup camera makes hooking up to a travel trailer an easy one person job.

Depending on trailer size/weight, you may not need an overly large tow vehicle.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have had TTs for over 20 years and most of my camping trips are by myself - I have no problems doing everything alone. Hooking up takes me less than 2 minutes; Unhooking and setting everything up takes about 15 minutes. Easy peasy
Gerry

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find it to be great exercise setting up a 5er. You learn to back alone by getting in and out of the truck many times.

Injury is your biggest threat. No falling, no strenuous lifting.. no 'dumb' stuff. Take your time and you'll be fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman