cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starcraft 239TBS vs. Forrest River 274 DBH ... go

joharnisch
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at one of these two models. we have a 1/2 ton TV. family of 4 (2 small girls). 239TBS is hybrid with 3 pop-out beds and 274 has a queen bed with a double size bunks. Looking for pros/cons of each. Thanks in advance for the input!
5 REPLIES 5

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
So you know well what the few negatives to the canvas are.

You can't beat a hybrid for openness and floorspace, in a smaller package.

We've loved ours but we're retired now and will hopefully be moving to a TT or 5th wheel, for longer and farther trips.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

joharnisch
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we do understand the differences of hybrid vs. traditional TT. These are basically the models of each that we like, that are available in our area. We are leaning to the hybrid. We currently have a pop up and are familiar with the pop out beds. We want too keep the camping feel. We kind of felt closed in inside the TT - only one small window on the front side. Also lighter weight of hybrid, but an impressive amount of space. Also we like the airflow when the tent sides are open. I noticed the water tank capacity differences, but we're used to using campsite facilities and only using camper water for necessities. We appreciate the feedback.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you're comparing 2 very different types of trailers.

The first discussion should be Hybrid TT vs Conventional TT.

You need to weigh the pros and cons of each type.
That alone will take up a whole thread.

THEN discuss the models.

I've owned a FR hybrid TT for nearly 10 years and the quality is among the best.
Most hybrid owners are former popup owners, that want more amenities and less setup. But they want to keep "camping" feel of the canvas tent ends.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We consider the quality of our old Starcraft HTT better than the Thor TT we have now.

You're comparing apples and oranges on the two models you listed.

Canvas vs hard side. Eventually you'll have to put it away / set it up in the rain. And a HTT lets more outside noise in than a hardside TT.

FR has a bigger bath w/ tub.

Starcraft has small tanks (if you camp w/o hookups). That's a deal breaker for us.

The FR may be pushing it on your current truck. The girls will only grow, not shrink. Load it up with bikes and firewood and it cuts into your payload.

The HTT is shorter, you can get into smaller & more rustic sites if that's the way you camp.

My own personal nit - I hate designs where the tv is at right angles to the couch.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both StarCraft products and Forest River. By far, in my experience, StarCraft is a better product. Slipshod workmanship and cutting corners have ruined my Forest River experience (and I've had two, both with problems).