cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to reserve or not to reserve

kwise_6
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been RVing for about a year now, and every time I plan out a road trip I am careful to include reservations at parks along the way. However, I’m getting the bug to just get on the road and go – not necessarily knowing in advance where I will end up on any given day. A carefully planned road trip would obviously negate the freedom of taking it day by day for a change. I’m sure many others have done this, and I’m just wondering how often they may have run into any serious problems with finding space at campgrounds. I’m sure geographic locations (very popular locales) as well as seasons would play into this scenario. Nonetheless, I would be interested to hear what others have done along this same line. If anyone would like to share their experiences and insight, I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely make reservations. I never know where I'm going to be one day to the next. The exception would be destinations like Disney, big cities or National Parks in the busy season. Keeping to a fixed schedule kind of takes the free-wheeling fun out of it for me. I try to leave the schedules at home.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Once you have lost your deposit a few times by having reservations that you can't make it to you will quit making reservations for the over night stops. Destination reservations are vital though if you expect to stay more than a day or 2. Over night stops can be made on the go. Get the RVParky app and use that to find parks near your location on the road. It give all the park info you need to call them to see if there is an opening for the night. That's how we do it and have never been without a place to stay.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It may not always be necessary but after driving for hours one time and not finding a space, I like the reassurance that one is waiting for me.
One less thing to worry about!