cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Kit?

beesknees79
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone! I am looking for any advice from the forums on recommended tools for new RV'ers. I'm putting together a multi-purpose tool kit and would like input on what I should include. Would there be any tools required for specific RV types, like motorhomes vs. travel trailers? I'd like a general "catch-all" kind of kit for RV trips.

Thanks in advance for your tips!
22 REPLIES 22

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
1. Slip lock pliers - need them most trips for water hose connection, as the arthritis in my hands makes it hard for me to tighten it sufficiently.

2. Leatherman.

3. Screw driver with multiple bits in all configurations. The one I have has an LED light in the handle that shines on the business end.

4. Seat belt cutters. Not strictly tools, but every vehicle we own has at least two. Upside down, filling with water or on fire isn't a time you want to be restrained. They clip to the sun visors, and we also have them in the center consoles and the glove box. In the RV we have them clipped to the front curtains. When you need one, you need it now.

5. I'm an EMT, so the cutter I carry in my pocket also has a rescue knife and a window punch.

6. Duct and electrical tape, fuses, DVM, hammer.

7. Work gloves.

8. Gojo hand cleaner.

I love that my Ace has a toolbox area in the top interior step. I can just reach in from outside and grab what I need.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
relaxin wrote:
...it may sound like alot, but at some point in time I have needed each of them, (only have one hammer though really)

My wire fix is usually from a coat hanger, already carried inside the rig. The small hand axe doubles as a hammer if I need to pound something.

I try not to carry an item if another item I already carry can be substituted.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget duct tape and electrical tape. Bailing wire can come in handy too. When my RV was new my hydraulic unit for the slides broke off and was hanging by the hydraulic lines. Whomever did the welding at the factory didn't do a good job that day. Luckily I had a heavy ratchet type tie down strap and I was able to use the strap to secure it back up to the frame to get it to the dealer to repair it.

Figure out how to manually retract your slides. My can be done with a ratchet wrench so I made sure I had the correct size socket and wrench just for that.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Claw hammer
Large ball peen
3-4 common screw drivers
Driver set with handle
Bottle jack
8-10" pipe wrench
2 adjustable wrenches 8-10"
A few common size sockets with handle
Large flex handle with sockets that fit lugnuts
Small LED flashlight
Steel wire (not insulated)
Bag of common hardware and nails
Nylon cord
4-6 ratcheting straps
Electrical tape
Various pipe\tubing clamps (tighten by hand type if possible)
Small voltmeter
Something to lay down on the wet ground that's easy to slide around on. (RV rugs are good here)

Don't go crazy with the tools like I used to.
Older rig = more tools
Newer rig = less tools

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put together took kits based on the types of repairs or adjustments that I will want to be able to do on the road and not ones where I will be wanting to go to a repair shop. If a door latch breaks or a tail light bulb burns out or a fuse blows I want to be able to do a repair quickly and easily.

For emergency repairs I carry duct tape, electrical tape, bailing wire, hose clamps, and bungee cords in a variety of lengths. I also have for years put a small tube of radiator stop leak in the glovebox of all my vehicles as it really does work and can be a real trip saver as well as money saver.

I always have a small hammer, vise-grips, screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, channel lock pliers, wire cutters, box knife, a %' and an 8" Crescent wrench, and a compact hacksaw. The vise-grip pliers and the 5" Crescent wrench are must have items I put again in all my vehicles. Three times I have removed the battery cable on my vehicles or someone else's and avoided an electrical fire. The tool box is roughly 16" x 7" x 7" in size so it does not take much space.

I buy a plastic tool box and put in the tools for the kit and it is separate from my home tools. The quality does not need to be as good and the additional expense of a dedicated set for the RV is trivial.

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
relaxin wrote:
2 of each screwdriver type
2 adjustable wenches (the ones that work on metric and sae)
a set of box/open end 1/4 to 3/4
vise grips,
channel locks
nut drivers
pliers
3 sizes of hammers
spare bulbs and fuses
a couple hose clamps,
couple plumbing fittings, section of hose,
electrical tape and a few connectors and a peice of wire
zip ties
band aids and bubblegum

it may sound like alot, but at some point in time I have needed each of them, (only have one hammer though really)
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
For me, it wasn't what tools, my question was what replacement parts would be handy. So I packed away an extra HW tank drain plug, all the different fuses, couple light bulbs, things like that.

This about covers it for me. I have a small assortment of the standard stuff, refined to all fit into a fairly small toolbox. I use a drill to lower stabilizers but have had a number of small projects where I needed the drill. I enjoy doing small fixes while camping, so a few tools and a few parts and I'm a happy camper.
The oddest thing I pack is a single allen wrench...to fit my TV crank! Yup, it fell off on our first trip out. Had to borrow one from another camper.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Everything in my rig is metric so I stopped carrying any SAE sized tools. Instead of multiple screwdrivers I carry a multibit head and a set of bits. A few wrenches of the most common sizes, and then fill up the box with spare parts like nuts, screws, washers, etc. Everything fits in a .50 cal ammo box.

You do not need to rebuild the transmission out there, just be able to jury rig a repair good enough to limp back to town.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
When you need a tool buy it. The bag will fill fast.
Don't get too much stuff for just in case.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is easy to carry way too many tools. It is also easy not to have the right tool for the job at hand. RVs, towables anyhow, are fairly simple beasts. I started with way too many tools & sizes of sockets etc. which simply are not needed.

I am still in the process of discovering sizes & types, e.g. deep sockets, that I do need. By the time I have everything needed just right I'll be ready to sell the trailer & move to a wheelchair.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
2 of each screwdriver type
2 adjustable wenches (the ones that work on metric and sae)
a set of box/open end 1/4 to 3/4
vise grips,
channel locks
nut drivers
pliers
3 sizes of hammers
spare bulbs and fuses
a couple hose clamps,
couple plumbing fittings, section of hose,
electrical tape and a few connectors and a peice of wire
zip ties
band aids and bubblegum
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby is a fanatic about using the right tool.

We carry on the TT....full set of sockets
Full set of screw drivers
Full set of wrenches
Tools for electrical and a tester
Allen keys, hammer, 18V drill + bits
Stainless screws, bolts, clamps, and pins
Fuses, light bulbs for travel lights
4'level, tape + electrical
I am sure I am missing a few things. We also carry the same in our boat as well as the truck, LOL a full set of everything possibly needed for each.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you search this forum for `tool kit'?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
You know, I have a tool kit, and I tried to think of the three tools I use the most often. Actually, they are very simple.

1. NUMBER 2 Square drive screw driver. My manufacturer used square drive screws on almost everything they installed. There's very few times I'll go on a trip where I'm not finding a loose screw or two that needs to be tightened. This is the most common tool I use.

A drop of wood glue on the screw as it's put back in gently will hold it for a long time....
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)