cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topper while pulling TT help MPG?

HilltopMike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious has anyone had experience with a topper while pulling a TT? How does it effect MPG vs. no topper? I'm thinking a truck with a high topper would help make the truck/TT combo more aerodynamic, or does it just make a bigger target for wind resistance?
19 REPLIES 19

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
++ Softopper or Bestop

They are light weight and keep contents of truck bed dry and away from loose fingers.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/off-road/gas-savings-tips.aspx

Manage Aerodynamics

Foreign objects like roof racks on the exterior of your vehicle can cause additional wind resistance and drag, especially at high speeds.

This is particularly crucial for trucks with open beds, where air travels into the bed and drags against the tailgate. Install a bed cover to maximize aerodynamics. The same goes for open-top Jeeps. Add a hard top or soft top (less weight) for reduced drag at high speeds.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Drive slower; best way to increase mpg
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about weight look at Softopper.com (not affiliated just love my collapsable cap)

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Minimal ... Part of the issue is that it doesn't change the aerodynamic profile of the back end of the trailer, which is typically a flat vertical wall. Aerodynamically, this creates a vacuum at the back of the trailer, sucking the whole combination backwards to try to fill that vacuum. If you could put on a topper, and round off the back, you might get somewhere (think: Airstream, although even a little rounding can help).
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it makes much difference with or without a topper. The added weight of the topper would cancel out any fuel efficiency gained by little if any improved aerodynamics. There isn't much that can be done to improve the aerodynamics of the front wall of a TT. Even a side wind blowing against the TT will decrease fuel mileage.

I have always had a topper on our pickup, not for aerodynamics, but for covered storage space.