cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery questions

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I have been looking through several forums and have read a lot about batteries for RV's and I see that a lot of people have a lot of different opinions regarding what kind and size batteries are best. I found a really good deal on some very large deep cycle batteries and I would like to know if anyone has used this size/type of battery before and what your experience was like. Did they work well for running the RV? Did you use solar panels at all with them? Please let me know; I am very interested in buying some of these if they will work well with a RV.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC260-12-Deep-Cycle-AGM-Battery-/331989196959?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
16 REPLIES 16

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
The e-bay add says that shipping is $10.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC260-12-Deep-Cycle-AGM-Battery-/331989196959?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another fan of AGM here. Lifeline 4D AGM, installed spring of 2010, going strong, stored disconnected every winter no trickle charger.

Another good battery is the gel cell. Have a 2003 group 31 gel cell at home still going. These days it get used as a hurricane battery to run a small inverter for phone charging & other light loads when the power goes out. Came in handy last week when hurricane Nichole ran right over Bermuda & power was down for a few days.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Fullriver AGM charging profile is closer to that of flooded golf cart batteries than other AGM batteries. 14.7 volts bulk and absorption, and 13.7 volts float. If you don't have custom setting on your charger don't just set it to "AGM" without comparing that particular charging profile with the Fullriver AGM charging requirements.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Price is good, product is good, warranty is the best. I have four Fullriver DC220-6 AGMs that are almost four years old. Never a problem. How much is shipping? Might be able to get them locally for the same or lesser price without paying for shipping.

Battery Outfitters or Continental Batteries in Missouri.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with harold1946. T 105's @ four would run $500 plus and not have the storage of two of these. AGM's will charge faster and as said maintenance free, but they are big and heavy.

LEN

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
Good point.
Thanks for the hint!

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Lovetheroad75 wrote:
Thank you very much for the insight. Do you think that these are listed at a good price? I can't find anything even close, but I have never bought them before.

Yes that is a very fair price.
Be sure the charger is capable of supporting AGMs to take full advantage of their capabilities.
AGMs will not freeze even if fully discharged.
Accept a charge up to ten times as fast as conventional batteries.
Self discharge rate is only 1-3 percent per month.
No corrosion issues.
No water monitoring needed.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone; I appreciate the insight!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you're a very die-hard off-grid camper and need the very best batteries, I think the best batteries are the most economical batteries which I think at the Costco 6V batteries for $87 each. I'm currently running Trojan T125s at well over $100 each.

You can afford to change out the Costco batteries twice as often as the Trojans. Buy the Costco batteries, save some money, maybe figure out to mount 6 of them and install some solar. You'll be money ahead in the end.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for the insight. Do you think that these are listed at a good price? I can't find anything even close, but I have never bought them before.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them and consider them one of the best 8D AGMs available. Right up there with Rolls. Be sure the battery tray can handle the load at 170+ lbs. each. I have 645 watts of solar which worked very well.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Lovetheroad75
Explorer
Explorer
What I really want to know is if anyone has any experience using these.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What voltage are the current batteries?
Are they coach, chassis or both?
If they are coach batteries I would suggest six volt batteries wired in a series parallel configuration. Six volt batteries are normally available at Costo or Sam's Club for around $80 each.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker