cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topper while pulling TT help MPG?

HilltopMike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious has anyone had experience with a topper while pulling a TT? How does it effect MPG vs. no topper? I'm thinking a truck with a high topper would help make the truck/TT combo more aerodynamic, or does it just make a bigger target for wind resistance?
19 REPLIES 19

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I also carry a canoe, and maybe it helps the mileage by .2MPG or so. But towing speed, and wind speed and direction are bigger factors.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The aerodynamic effects you see on 18-wheeler trailers are trying to get a 2 to 4 % increase in fuel mileage.

If you drive 100,000 miles per year, that can be a substantial savings which might pay off the $5,000 investment in aerodynamics in a couple years.

If you tow 6,000 to 10,000 miles per year like me - it will take close to 20 years to pay off the cost of a topper. I have one - to keep my stuff dry and safe.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Used to carry a small , pointed bow, rowboat on the top of a station wagon towing a TT. Bow forward. Dramatic improvement in MPG.

I often carry a canoe. No change good or bad while on the roof. I have had a "little" increase with the no canoe and the toneau cover on the truck bed, but it does depend.

Slowing down is the only way to improve mileage.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Used to carry a small , pointed bow, rowboat on the top of a station wagon towing a TT. Bow forward. Dramatic improvement in MPG.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 those crazy two guys on TV, showed it made no difference.best fuel mpg is to slow down stay at 55,to 60 mph.

x3!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure anyone has said exactly this: It would not surprise me if a topper affected MPG a little.

But what most of these posts correctly point out is that most campers are HORRIBLE aerodynamically, so the effect of the topper is going to be very mild (if positive at all).

When you look at all the doo-dads that semi trucks have (air dams on cabs, newer curtain things below trailers and sorta-partial-tail cones, I would not want to totally dismiss the effect of a topper, but you also need to consider that a truck is running "nearly-continuously" so those savings add up a bit quicker.

So yeah, if you want to boost your mileage meaningfully, slow down. Get the topper to provide a good, dry cover.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
The words 'towing' and 'MPG' just do not belong in the same sentence. They cancel each other out.

Big fuel costs is just something to budget when planning trips.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
camp-n-family wrote:

This was proven to be untrue. Air over the cab would flow into the uncovered bed and cause an eddy effect which would then deflect air over the bed of the truck. It actually reduced drag. This is why it is better to drive with the tailgate up instead of down. A covered bed had minimal to no effect on improving aerodynamics. I believe there was even an episode on myth busters about this.
https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Not just Mythbusters. Both Ford and General Motors did their own wind tunnel testing and found tailgate up gives better mileage. But some old internet myths never die.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
We gave up on "good mileage" when towing...not going to happen.
We have a topper because it protects the stuff in the bed of our truck, like the bikes, etc.

Best answer.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We gave up on "good mileage" when towing...not going to happen.
We have a topper because it protects the stuff in the bed of our truck, like the bikes, etc.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 those crazy two guys on TV, showed it made no difference.best fuel mpg is to slow down stay at 55,to 60 mph.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:

Manage Aerodynamics

This is particularly crucial for trucks with open beds, where air travels into the bed and drags against the tailgate. Install a bed cover to maximize aerodynamics. The same goes for open-top Jeeps. Add a hard top or soft top (less weight) for reduced drag at high speeds.

This was proven to be untrue. Air over the cab would flow into the uncovered bed and cause an eddy effect which would then deflect air over the bed of the truck. It actually reduced drag. This is why it is better to drive with the tailgate up instead of down. A covered bed had minimal to no effect on improving aerodynamics. I believe there was even an episode on myth busters about this.
https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The cost of the topper will far exceed the value of any fuel savings you'll ever see. Get a topper if you need to protect things in the bed otherwise, it serves little purpose for towing.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Most of us are just guessing. You can find people who know for sure
Here (link)
Currently RV-less but not done yet.