cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Buying Advice?

CompactFlash
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! I’m new here but I’m hoping to buy a travel trailer sometime soon. I’ve been doing a lot of research and actually started a site about them to force me to learn, ha.

I’m doing an expert roundup on the site and I think many travel trailer/RV newbies like me would like to know your answer to this question:

If you could give 3 tips to someone buying an RV or travel trailer, what would they be? e.g. Check for water damage, negotiate price, etc.

If you’ve bought an RV or travel trailer before, or know a lot about the process, I’d be very eager to hear your tips.

Thanks in advance, and glad to join the forums!
7 REPLIES 7

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Rent one first. You can find some campgrounds that have rental units on them. That's how we got our first introduction and we learned a few good things from that experience. It's also what got us hooked.

2. Don't go out spending a bundle of cash on your first TT and don't spend another bundle of cash on mods and upgrades to it. BTDT. There's a good probability that it will not be your last and you may not have it that long. The value of new TTs plummets from new and you could lose a lot of that bundle of cash if you go and sell it down the road. Once you get into RV-ing and see other units and go to RV shows, there's gonna be something that is waaay nicer than what you have. Again, BTDT too...

3. Learn what to look for in TTs when you go around and look at them in person. Look under the trailers and see how the frames differ. Some are awful and some are good. Frames don't usually get looked at much, especially by first-time buyers. See if floors feel soft. Look inside cabinets and see what the fit and finish is like and look for things out of plumb, level & square. Some cabinetry can be really poorly put together. When narrowing down, spend some time inside a unit. Sit down and picture yourself doing various activities and think about functionality. Where would you hang coats when you come and go in rainy or cold weather? TVs can be in difficult to see locations. Storage can be inadequate and poorly laid out. Is there enough kitchen counter area? Pass-through doors can be too small while some are generous in size. Some pass-through spaces can be much larger than others even though they are located similarly under the forward facing queen bed. Look at the cargo carrying capacity between makes and models. Sometimes the CCC is almost nothing after you have the TT all loaded up for camping while some manufacturers are realistic and generous on CCC. Download one of the pre-purchase checklists from the internet for ideas of some things to look for.

4. Bonus item. Get a pair of walkie-talkies for backing into a site. This may just save a marriage one day. (Another BTDT :))

Oh yeah, and as said alluded to above, never ever believe what a salesman tells you. All they want to do is sell you something, anything, that puts cash in their jeans....

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Really "listen" to the salesman/dealer owner and "hear" what he isn't telling you!

Make sure that the new unit he is selling you is new. If he tells you it has never been registered...Ask him if it has ever been slept in!
Long story but a unit was sold as new but it had been either loaned or rented out. Evidence found after sale complete and money exchanged.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
1). Hit as many dealers and RV shows as you can before you make a decision. With so many floor plans and different qualities you'll want to see as many as you can. Our dealer said over 50% of first time buyers come back within two years to buy a different floor plan.
2). Make sure your tow vehicle is capable of handling the trailer not just pulling it. We made that mistake.
3). Negotiate for the best price and research the price thoroughly before buying. Get several offers from outside dealers and take these to your local dealer. Ours came within $500 of our lowest quote and saved us a 500 mile trip.
4). RV'ing is not cheap, so if your getting an RV to save money on vacations you might want to rethink your decision. Factor is cost of RV, tow vehicle, hitch, brake controller, extra fuel, insurance, accessories and camp ground fees.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the best quality you can. If you need to, go used for better quality

Spend a lot of time in the trailer evaluating the floor plan. Is the bed long enough? Can you sit comfortably and watch the TV? Can you walk around easily? Can you cook easily? Can you make the bed? Can you access the sink? Etc.

Make sure your tow vehicle can not only handle the weight but you have a buffer. DO not be at near max weight with the trailer loaded for a trip.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
spend some time in the trailer. can you reach the cabinets/storage or do you need a stool or to get down on the floor? can you sit in the bathroom with the door shut? Can you dress in the bathroom or is there a easy to manage alternative? any of these questions can be answered by spending some time in a TT and going through how you will do everything you do in the course of a day and night.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
if used, i would say:

1. check for water damage
2. make sure you have a tow vehicle capable of safely towing the loaded trailer, along with the vehicle being loaded.
3. buy your second trailer, first!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. First off, new or used? Most important thing in my opinion is research and finding the correct weight range to work with based on your tow vehicles safe towing and payload capacities. Next is floor plan for your needs (too much trailer for tow vehicle is the the most common mistake newbies make). Once you have spent time inside enough trailers and narrowed down a general wants list, consider ease and quantity of storage as well as functionality of the floor plan. The goal is to buy your third rv first. It took me almost 7 different rvs before I found one that we truly like. I don't recommend that process.
If used, you definitely need to know what you are looking for as far as common problem areas before making an offer. Price is price, you need to start with a budget and go from there. NADA or Internet searches will tell you what the fair market value is for a given make and model, year, etc.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.