cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to decide between 5th wheel and Class A

Headlesschicken
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Hubby and I are planning on selling all we own and taking a year off to travel the US so we can live a little and spend time with our newborn. We both work 6-7 days a week, he's a chef and works alot of open to close on top of that and I work at a factory so I'm wore out and hate the thought of not seeing her grow up. We have never owned an RV and know nothing about them. We also will be taking 2 dogs, one of them large and 2 cats. I am trying to stick to a budget of $25k so we have money to live off since we will be unemployed. So advice on any way to make money on the road is also appreiciated but my main question is what's yalls opinion...5th wheel or class A? He really wanted a class A because he felt it would be more fun to drive a big rig and there's also the fact the dogs,cats, and baby are easy to get to and plenty of space for them instead of trying to squeeze them in a truck. But on the other hand a 5th wheel has more space when parked for them to play. It's hard for me to imagine trying to get around with a husky at my feet in a class A and wondering where we would put the baby's bed. If we get a 5th wheel we have to buy a truck and if we get a class A we may have to buy a tow vehicle. I own a Dodge Ram 1500 and he has a mustang. Is it possible to tow the Ram on a class A? And would most be able to pull it? We didn't want to tow it because it's so big but we can't take the mustang cause we wouldn't all fit. If we went 5th wheel would it be possible to leave the animals in there or is the ride to rough and can you even run the AC in it while driving? Sorry if that's a stupid question but like I said, we know nothing. Also what do y'all do about health insurance? Any advice or tips would be appreciated especially from those with experiance traveling with pets or infants! Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like a fun trip in the making.
$25k will require some thrifty shopping. I'd concentrate on finding the best deal with enough room vs a particular type of RV.
No experience rv mean not experienced towing? In that case I'd be thinking A or C.
If you get a trailer, unless it's too hot, I personally wouldn't have issue with the pets riding in it. Some do, it certainly isn't too rough. No AC though unless you run onboard generator. AC runs on AC.
If towing, make sure the vehicle you tow is towable without removing the driveshaft.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold