cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New RVer

SallyJ1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just joined the RV movement. We are a couple in later 60's with two small dogs. We live in the Central Valley in California where the heat is sometimes unbearable! Would like some tips on good places to go at different parts of the year. We are just starting and haven't really been anywhere yet. We have just ordered a Class C Motor Home. It will be delivered in mid September. Anyone out there who would like to chat?
10 REPLIES 10

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without talking about specific locations, the key concepts are elevation and latitude. For every 1,000 feet in elevation the mean temperature drops 3.5 degrees F. In the northern hemisphere, every 15 degrees of latitude north means a drop of 5 degrees F. Of course, there are exceptions to this. Snowbirds and full-timers often follow one of two rules: 1) I-10 or south in the winter/as far north as you can get in the summer; or 2) as the Harry Nilsson song said, "I'm goin' where the weather suits my clothes."

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new Class C. We were in the same situation 12 years ago and this is what I would do differently now. First, there is no problem free new RV--there WILL be issues that need to be resolved. So for your initial trip(s) I would not take an ambitious journey. I would take a shorter trip(s) near you to get acquainted with your C and to be able to get back to your dealer should problems arise. Also, I would take the RV out in the RAIN to check for leaks. Don't wait until you're ready to take a long trip only to find that your roof leaks. Since your RV will be ready in Sept, take a short trip up the coast in October where you should encounter rain showers.

As to where you should go on your first long trips: ANYWHERE! Just go--there aren't really any bad places to go...and if there are, just get back in your RV and go someplace else. Everyone tells you about their favorite places and why you should go there. I would listen to RVers who tell you where to avoid (mosquitos, weather, costs, crowds, etc). Happy Travels.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forum and the RV world. Yes, the central valley gets hot, been there done that. As previously mentioned the Northern CA coast will offer a bit of fog and coolness. Easy first trip to Monterey, then branch out from there. A run up into the Sierras will also get you relief. After a few trips, you will find what works for you.

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
During the summer consider Sequoia N.P, Kings Canyon N.P., Morro Bay, and the Santa Cruz area.

For longer trips consider Kennedy Meadows, Kyburz area, Mt. Shasta area, Columbia area and Pollock Pines area.

As stated above winter is a different set of locations.

Planning trips is half the fun.

Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You don't have to go far from home to escape the heat. Head up to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, June Lake and Mammoth. Or head to the coast.

NutHouse2016
Explorer
Explorer
A trip over to coast at Eureka and north to Florence ,or and back down I5 would be a nice trial run. I grew up in Susanville and have always loved that trip in a truck or RV.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monterey, Morro Bay and Cambria have some RV CGs that are cool.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
For a set up trip, do a couple in close proximity to your home, and the dealer youre buying from. After you have figured out where to put the dishes, hide the dirty laundry, and keep the dog dishes, branch out.
What do you like?
Warm weather?
Beaches?
Mountains?
Snow?
They are all within reach. And the beauty is ,,,,,,,that if you dont like the view out your kitchen window, CHANGE IT. You have the power.
Once you are comfortable within your new shell, like a turtle, home is wherever you happen to be.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and to RV fun times. Some great RV destinations for escaping heat with plenty of camping opportunities are the Oregon Coast including state parks (we were there in early June), the Canadian Rockies, and some U.S.National Parks like Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Redwoods, Bryce Canyon, Glacier, and Rocky Mountain. Temperatures vary of course.

On the East Coast, there's Acadia NP, Maine coast, Atlantic Canada...many more all over, especially higher elevations.

Some parks and destinations shut down in winter, some are great in the spring and fall, some like Crater Lake are only up and running for a short summer season. Just takes a little research.

Winter escapes from the cold are a whole different list. Enjoy!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum...
I'd head to the Oregon Coast... September/October is perfect.
Oregon State Parks are a great place to start.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro